The Phone Call

A/N: This chapter is pretty short in comparison, but I'll make it up to you by making the next chapter longer and full of unresolved sexual tension. ;) 

Much to Coleen's dismay, Maine immediately exited their room and ran to their garden when her phone started ringing, Alden's name flashing on the screen. She didn't want her sister's inevitable squealing to ruin her first private phone conversation with him. She sat on their bench overlooking their humble garden, sighing along with the winds blowing through their mango tree. She tried to ignore the fact that her rib cage felt like it was on the precipice of exploding, and with trembling hands, she tapped on that green "accept call" button. "Hello?"

"Hi, Maine," she heard his voice on the other line.

"Hi!"

"Kamusta?"

"Ok lang naman," she said, her voice a little shaky, which she hoped he wouldn't notice. "Ikaw?"

He chuckled a little. "Medyo 'di pa rin maka-get over sa event today."

She smiled. "Ako rin."

"Aling part yung 'di ka talaga maka-get over?"

Yung niyakap mo ako. "Ewan, lahat."

"Lahat talaga?" he laughed.

She laughed in return. "Oo, nakakaoverwhelm lang talaga lahat!" Lalo na nung niyakap mo 'ko. Huhu. "Bakit, ikaw ba may favorite moment ka?"

"Meron." She could almost see him smirking.

"Ano?"

"Yung," he chuckled again and sighed. "Well, marami rin. First, yung laki nung arena and yung dami ng tao sa loob. 'Di ko inexpect na ganun yung feeling. It felt like the world was watching us and supporting us."

"Oo, sobra. It was pretty intense being in the middle of that."

"Yeah, yun. Tapos nung nag-group hug tayo ni lola, sweet din 'yun."

Maine smiled at the memory.

"Tapos... nung lumakad tayo arm-in-arm," he laughed, "finally."

She laughed a little but didn't say anything.

"Well... I guess, our entire time... together on-stage, basically, was nice," he said, slowly.

"Yeah," Maine agreed, "same." She wondered if he really meant what he was saying, and if he was saying the entire truth at all. His answers felt rehearsed and a little cautious. She wasn't sure what to make of it.

A few seconds of awkward silence passed before Alden said, "Sige, um, medyo late na rin..."

She looked at her watch. 9:54PM wasn't really late to her, but— "yeah... probably should get ready for bed."

"Sige. It was—it was nice finally talking to you on the phone," he said, laughing a little.

"Yeah," she replied, smiling. The awkwardness in the conversation was growing by the second.

"Ok, good night."

"Night! See you sometime next week—'di ko pa alam ang schedule natin," she laughed.

He laughed, too. "Oo nga, ako rin. But yeah, we'll see each other for sure!"

She nodded. "Okay, bye!"

"Bye."

She heard his line click and grow silent. She brought her phone down to her lap and stared at it. What was that? Granted, she wasn't really sure what to expect for their first phone exchange, but she didn't think it would be that short or that awkward! She sighed again and stood up, making her way back to her room. She was getting mildly confused about this whole Alden situation in her life, but she knew she ought not to think about it too much.

Whatever's meant to happen will happen, she told herself, as she opened the door to her bedroom to tell her sister all about it.

To be continued.