Parent hood.

My name is Claire. A year ago I had had my first kid. I had named her Taylor. Since I had a young one around I had to be good around her so that when she got older she didn’t end up being bad. I was teaching her how to walk. She can almost walk, but she still needs some practice. A few minutes later my husband had gotten home. He had a bad day at work, so of corse he would be mad.

He started saying things, swears and bad things about his boss. I had asked him him nicely to stop saying them things in front of Taylor. He had forgotten that we had a kid because of where he is always at work. He is barely ever home, so he doesn’t get to see Taylor a lot. He had picked her up and said “I’m sorry”. He had the next week off. He stayed home with Taylor, they went for walks, went to the park, and he went to go get new toys for her to play with. Only because Taylor had lost all of her toys. And some were old and dirty.

My husband had only two days left until he had to go back to work. He worked out in the woods. But until then, my husband and I had changed. We weren’t our selfs anymore. We were much more respectful to each other. We had never said anything bad around Taylor anymore. Not even if she wasn’t there, we had never said anything bad at all. I know now that someday when Taylor gets older that she wouldn’t so bad. She would be kind and respectful to other people and not be in a bad mood.

The day my husband had gone back to work we all spent time together, just the three of us. We watched movies that were appropriate for Taylor. One hour later he had gone to work. But not even two hours later he had come back home. He had said that he told his boss that he quit. He walked over to Taylor and gave her a big hug. He whispered in her ear, “I know that some day, you will be the most respectful person in the world. You will treat others fairly, and not have to worry about what people say.” 

Twelve years later, Taylor had just turned thirteen. She did what we had asked her to do. She never fought with us when she was asked to do something. She was respectful to me and her father. And she was always honest with me. She always told me things that she couldn’t talk about to other people. If she was having a problem with someone she would come and tell me. She wouldn’t just say nothings wrong.

Taylor would always talk to her dad with certain situations, ones I couldn’t help her with. Her dad would always give her advise and tell her what the right thing to do is. Ever since my husband had quit his job, we have gotten along well. He didn’t have to come home mad and start yelling at me and taylor like it was our fault anymore. Even today he still watches his language and how he acts around her. She always had a smile on her face no matter what mood she was in.