Prologue

Sally ran as fast as she could across the searing black sand, the small child in her arms willing her feet to move faster. A screech came from behind her, and her heart fluttered in fear. The forest, her safety, was so close she could almost smell the flowers that littered the ground. Another screech sent a shock through her body, causing her to loose her footing on the shifting black sand. As the ground flew closer she forced her body to twist, protecting the child. Her shoulder dug into the ground, the rough sand shredding her skin. Sally winced as her blood trickled out of the fresh, dirty wound, but she rose to her feet and continued running. The child in her arms began to cry, and Sally attempted to quiet her tears.

"Shush, Love. We are almost there." Sally whispered as her feet carried them closer to the trees.

Sally sighed in relief as she finally burst into the forest. The damp, chilly grass calmed the screams coming from her feet, and tears of joy escaped her eyes. Sally slowed to a stop and rested against a tree, letting her burning legs absorb sweet energy from a moment of rest. The child had ceased crying, and was now marveling at the view around her. The tall trees swayed in the soft breeze, and Sally closed her eyes, feeling safety for the first time.

Suddenly, a ear piercing screech came from the sky, and Sally's eyes flew open. A giant, black bird was circling above, with its pure red eyes fixed on the child in Sally's arms. The small ounce of hope Sally had found in the trees vanished on the wind, and she turned and ran deeper into the forest. The bird followed, keeping a keen eye on it's prey. Sally dodged trees and thorns as she raced through the woods, the wind whipping through her firey red hair. The bird behind her dove into the woods, now flying through the thich trees. A thorn dug into Sally's foot, and she slowed her face just long enough for the bird to catch up with her. Sally screamed as sharp talons dug into her shoulders, and pain shot through her body. Blood poured out from the wound, and tears streamed from Sally's eyes as her feet were lifted from the ground and the talons ripped through her muscle and caught on her collarbone. Another scream slit the air as the bird retracted its claws, sliding them out of Sally's shoulders. Sally fell back to the ground, and her knees buckled as her shoulders burned, shooting fire through her veins.

"You will not have my child, witch." Sally whispered.

Ignoring the pain pulsing from her shredded shoulders, Sally wrapped the child in her arms and raced on through the trees. The bird screeched in anger as his prey rushed on, and Sally smiled as she put distance between her child and her would-be murderer. As soon as she was sure her attacker wouldn't see, she ducked into a small cave and laid the child on the ground.

"Return to me, my child. Come back and avenge my death."

Sally kissed the forehead of the small child, and then took two knifes out of her sleeves and raced out of the cave, leading the black bird as far away from the cave as possible. Finally, she turns around to face the beast, and it's eyes narrow as it nears it's prey. The bird circles twice before diving towards Sally's broken form. Sally dodges the bird's sharp beak, but as she turns to meet its gaze, but her eyes instead meet eight sharp talons, which bury themselves into the head of it's victim. Sally's scream echoes through the forest, and the trees are imprinted forever with the desperation of her cry. The bird retreats then, and Sally falls to the ground, blood streaming down her face and puddling on the ground. She turns her head slowly to look in the direction of her child, and as the light leaves her eyes, she whispers the name of the child she gave her life to protect.

"Megan."