Tension

It was obvious who was going to win. Jeanetta was older and more experienced.

She had crossed the finish line 2 strides ahead of Vicinty. But she oculdn't stay long or the humans would figure out that she wasn't who she was said to be. Vicinty glared at her, yellow wolf eyes enflamed.

"I'll see you at the meeting tonight." And with that Jeanetta made her way off the track. She tore the tag number off her shirt.

~~~~~~~~

Large paws printed into the moist earth. Dew already collected on the ferns and other undergrowth. The pack was in formation as they traveled.

They were lead by an black wolf, grey hairs covering most of his muzzle and the tops of his paws. It was no doubt that a new leader would arise and take the place of the aging alpha. Jeanetta ran at the back of the pack, bringing up the rear. The wolf who had turned her ran in front of her. It was him that use to be the omega. But it was her now.

When another would come around or be turned then her or she would be omega and Jeanetta could make a name for herself. The ranks were always changing in a pack. When a member died in battle or from the sickness the rest of the pack would fight for the rank.

Jeanetta was a cunning wolf, waiting for her chance when Akit, the alpha, died. Her long pink tongue rolled out the side of her mouth as the pace was picked up to a brisk run. Her sensative ears and nose could already detect the other pack.

There was only one other pack in the area. The Cosmos. Unlike her pack they only had two forms. Wolf and human. But they didn't know about her pack's little secret.

A moon lit clearing spread out in front of Jeanetta. The fiesty omega searched out Vicinty. The only reason the omega came to the meeting was to fight the other pack's omega. It was tradition. Both packs placing bets on who would win. Jeanetta and Vicinty were the omegas this time around. The meetings took place twice a year. At the peak of winter and the peak of summer.

The air was cold, the clouds above threatning to shed snowy tears.

Jeanetta was shouldered forward by her packmates who barked encouragement.

Her molted brown and black fur bristled as her lips curled back in a baring of her sharp ivories. A growl reverberated in her chest as the circle was made, Vicinty feet in front of her. Jeanetta's tail was raised and so was Vicinty's. The two male alphas gave a nod to eachother and the fight begun.