Unusual Beginnings

We know what we are, but know not what we may be. - Shakespeare

Two stormy eyes inspected an old key that no longer had a use. It was years upon years old and the lock it once opened was most likely gone, or transformed into something else. The key was caught, trapped, in the hand of a young girl whose infinite curiosity questioned everything in front of her.

The key she was holding was heavy in her hand, solid. She observed the intricate patterns on its sides, and tried to make out some tiny inscribed words on the two-finger handle which was shaped perfectly to her small hands.

"I clauditis sed nunquam aperta." It must be Latin. She thought to herself.

The girl eventually became bored by the key, as she had examined it many times before. She set it down on her desk, next to a text and notebook, a magnifying glass, a few haphazardly lain doodles and a prominent drawing she drew of a odd creature she once saw in an old book with a long, sleek body and a curved horn on its head beginning at the point of its snout, which was quite sharp.

The smell of something cooking downstairs called her name, and she ran after the scent, being a growing teenager and all... I suppose now is a good time to introduce the young lady I've been talking about.

Her name is the most unusual thing about her, but other than that shes mostly normal. But don't let me dissuade you, she has the potential to be abnormal, as everyone does, including yourself. She just chooses not to as many people do also, though she is rather abnormal by earth's standards.

Avi Letary.

Avi is the petite height of 5"4, with short pixie cut style of brown hair. Her blue-grey eyes and small nose were nice on her face along with the small, almost unnoticeable freckles congregating around the base of her nose went nicely with her slightly darker chocolate colored skin.
Avi indeed loved her name as she had a certain love for unusual-ness and the name fit her perfectly she thought as she believed herself quite unusual.

It is now fall, and this was her second week of junior year at high school. Avi was mostly happy, more content than happy really. She had all of 1 close friends at school and they didn't really hang out too much, rather just a comforting presence in each other's lives.  You can probably tell Avi isn't too extroverted. She would very much like to just do schooling at home but her parents  aren't much the home school type... They aren't even truly her parents, not biologically anyway. We'll talk about that later though.
Avi is most easily described as the introverted nerd. She loves and craves knowledge and thus  practically lives in the library, reading all the fiction and nonfiction she could get on her hands, watching all the documentaries on Netflix, and perhaps going on the internet to download a few.

Avi lives with her adopted parents in a dense city, in a small apartment positioned midway on a 4 story building. The city in which she lives currently, is not important, you'll come to understand. But do keep in mind the time and type of living she comes from because it may become... oddly relevant.

Overall, Avi is a nice young girl, but she is a shadow, gone unnoticed by the rest of the crowd. This is because she does not stand out, and she does this purposely, as she never craved attention and never demanded it, but soon attention will be on her for the first time in her life, as you shall see.

---

"Avi, eat your soup it's getting cold!" Avi suddenly awoke from a daydream she was experiencing from her mother's scolding. She did was she was told but continued daydreaming, which caused her to almost drop her spoon into the very soup she was eating from her absentmindedness.

"Are you okay Avi?" Her mother asked with concern, siting next to her at a small table in their kitchen.

"Yeah I'm fine. Sorry I was just daydreaming." Avi responded, now concentrated with the task of eating her soup without daydreaming in the process.