The Fortune Cookie

It was 3 p.m in the afternoon and Veronica was with her friend Sofia at her house enjoying the nice and cool air conditioning. They were having a glass of cold lemonade on an ordinary afternoon when Veronica asks Sofia, "Hey Sofia, what do you think we should eat? Chinese, Culver's, McDonald's, or Sushi?"

"I don't know Veronica. I've really been craving for some Chinese food," suggests Sofia.

"Then Chinese food it is!" Says Veronica.

The two girls were on their way to a famous Chinese Restaurant well-known in Miami. Once they got to the restaurant, they went to find a place to eat so they can talk. Once they sat at the table, they were deciding what they were getting so they can be ready when the waiter comes by and ask them for their order. When the waiter comes to their table, the waiter asked what Veronica and Sofia wanted.

"Hi, can I get chicken with broccoli, and some shrimp with garlic sauce?" Said Veronica.

The waiter was jotting down what Veronica had ordered and was getting ready for Sofia's order, "And what would you like ma'am?" Said the waiter with kindness.

"Yes, I would like the spicy chicken with mushrooms with a side of egg drop soup, thank you."As Sofia told the waiter.

When the waiter took their order, the waiter took out two fortune cookies, one for each of them, handed them the cookies and silently walked away. A few feet away, the waiter turned back and winked to Veronica when she wasn't looking and kept walking to the back of the kitchen to place their orders. When the waiter gave them their fortune cookies, Sofia decided she wanted to say her fortune first, and it said, "Make the wisest choice and go along with it; trust your instincts."

"Wow," said Veronica, "That sounds really deep. My turn."

As Veronica mentally read her fortune, she stop and hesitated before saying her fortune. The fortune read, "Your life's in danger. Say nothing to anyone. You must leave the city immediately and never return. Repeat, say nothing." At first Veronica chuckled as she read her fortune. But right after she read it, she was starting to question how she got that fortune, out of all the fortunes they made, she got that one. She started to question why did she got that fortune and she remembered the waiter. The waiter was patiently looking at Veronica. But once the waiter saw that Veronica was looking over his way, he disappeared into the kitchen and never came out again.

"Earth to Veronica, are you there?" Asked Sofia.

Veronica responding a little confused to her friend, "Hey, sorry I was just looking at my fortune before I read it."

"What does it say?" Asked Sofia

When Sofia asked her the question, Veronica started to question herself if she should tell her friend what the fortune cookie said and about the waiter that attended them. But Veronica was starting to get a little nervous and she decided not to tell her friend, "I don't think I should tell you my fortune Sofia."

"Why not?" Asked Sofia sadly.

"I want my fortune to come true is all," lied Veronica hoping that her fortune wouldn't come true at all.

"Oh, okay," said Sofia sadly.

Once they finished eating their food, Veronica decided to take some of her leftover food home and also wanted to take a few more fortune cookies. Veronica knew something was going on when the same waiter winked at her while handing her 3 more fortune cookies. She wanted to ask him why was he winking at her but she decided not to because she thought it was a silly idea and she might be imagining things.

A couple days later after Sofia and her ate at the Chinese Restaurant, Veronica decided to open her fortune cookie that she got at the Chinese Restaurant. The fortune read, "This is a warning, if you tell a single person about what is going on right now, you will be sorry. And you will regret that you ever told anyone about this." Veronica started to get a little frightened about the whole fortune cookie telling her to be careful who she tells this too. She is starting to question the waiter, and she's starting to question the fortune cookies that he gave her. Do you think that he had magic powers? Or do you think that the fortune cookie is telling the future to Veronica and to be alert about the things she does or say? Veronica is starting to get a little confused about this whole situation. She really wants to tell Sofia what's going on, but she fears something bad will happen to her, so she keeps quiet.

The next day, Veronica decides to open another fortune cookie. Only did she regret about reading the fortune. The fortune read, "This is your last warning Veronica. If you open one more fortune, you will be sorry." The fortune really gave Veronica the chills. She was really starting to get scared about this whole thing. Once Veronica read the fortune, she starting to think that the fortune cookies that she had been receiving, are psychotic. Veronica is starting to put all the clues together now. When she first arrives at the Chinese restaurant, she orders some Chinese food, after that she sees that the waiter gives them two fortune cookies. She didn't notice that the waiter was putting some magical spell in her fortune cookie, and she is starting to get suspicious about this waiter at the restaurant.

Veronica starts to head back to the Chinese Restaurant and find that waiter. When she gets to the restaurant, she sees her friend Sofia. Sofia was walking already walking up to Veronica when she saw her best friend.

"Hey Veronica! How's it going?" Said Sofia.

Veronica replied, "It's been okay I guess, how about you?"

"I've never been better!" Said Sofia in the most cheerful voice.

"You seem happy, anything new that I don't know of?"

"Well, I met this wonderful guy after we were at the Chinese restaurant the other day."

"Awe, what's his name?" Asked Veronica.

"His name is Angel." Said Sofia smiling.

As Veronica heard his name, she immediately remembered the name of the waiter that worked at the restaurant. Veronica decided to go inside the restaurant and ask the Manager who Angel was and wanted to meet him. She told Sofia that she had to go and left. Once she was inside, she went to ask the Manager who Angel was and if he could page him.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but I can't do that right now," said the Manager.

Veronica responded, "Why can't you sir? This is very important."

"I just can't ma'am, I'm sorry." The manager said, leaving to attend his duties.

"Well that wasn't useful at all," said Veronica to herself.

As Veronica was getting back to her car, she realized that she suddenly got another fortune cookie. Veronica doesn't remember getting another fortune cookie when she went back to the restaurant. She looks back at the restaurant and she sees the waiter Angel and gives her a stare and leaves. Veronica is really confused. She started her car and left the restaurant parking lot.

When she got home, she went to the kitchen and is curious on what the fortune cookie would say this time. At first she hesitated on opening the fortune cookie, but then she finally decided on opening it. When she took the wrapper off the fortune cookie, she started to shake non-stop. Veronica started to regret opening the fortune cookie, but it was too late.

When Veronica cracked the cookie in half, the fortune cookie was rolled up like a scroll. Once Veronica started unrolling the fortune cookie, it read, "5,4..." Veronica was really confused and didn't know what it meant. She kept on reading the fortune cookie, but even more scared than she was before. The fortune read, "3,2..." Veronica stopped and started questioning what would happen when she got to 1. She was more scared than she had ever been before. Veronica hesitating, finally read the last number, "1." Once she got to one, Veronica instantly died. She wasn't shot, nor did she have any diseases. Just like that, she died.

No one ever noticed that Veronica died, until months later her friend Sofia noticed that she hasn't heard from her friend. She began to worry about Veronica and decided to go to her house. When she got to her house, she noticed that the door was open. She entered Veronica's home and noticed that all of Veronica's stuff were all stolen. She started to worry about where Veronica was. When she approached the kitchen, she saw Veronica lying on the floor and went running to Veronica. "Veronica!" She yelled, "Veronica! Can you hear me? Veronica!" Sofia started to cry once she knew that her best friend Veronica died. She couldn't help but wonder how her friend had passed away. She began to cry some more with Veronica in her arms and she noticed that she wasn't bleeding in anyway. She began to question how Veronica died if she didn't get shot or anything. She checked for anymore signs and found nothing. She began to wonder who did this and why. Why would they do this to Veronica. And by then, this is only the beginning.