Story

Crow, still merely a pup, glanced around, searching for her mother. There were nothing but trees. "Mother?" Crow murmured, knowing her mother had to be as worried as Crow, if not more. Crow was an only pup. She got to her paws, and ran around searching. She eventually came across her mother. But there were humans, too. They had a gun. Horrified, Crow hid under a bush, watching in terror as her mother snarled at the humans. One of the humans lifted its gun, and the loud sound made Crow flinch. She looked to her mother, who was uninjured. Her mother looked at the human mockingly. And she leaped at the only one with a weapon and knocked it out of his hands, and pinned the human to the ground. Crow watched, impressed by her mother, as always. Her mother growled defiantly and the unarmed human ran off, and Crow's mother snarled, getting off the human but immediately standing over the gun, cocking her head backwards, showing confidence. The other human followed after his friend, leaving the gun. Her mother padded over to Crow and picked her up by the scruff. "Are you okay, Mother?"

"Yes, I'm fine." Mother replied. "Are you?"

"Yeah Mother. I'm okay. Where's Father?" Crow asked, looking around.

"He's out hunting. He'll be back soon." The brown she-wolf said as they arrived at the den. She put Crow down and the little gray pup scurried into the den, curling up. Crow quickly fell asleep and later woke up to the sound of her father.

"I'm back, Tawny!" Her father called to her mother.

"That's great, Snake! What did you bring home?" The brown she-wolf rubbed against her dark gray mate. Snake dropped a hare, and make a funny face, as if to say, 'What do you think?' Crow jumped to her paws and scurried out of the den clumsily. Once she got to the hare, she dug into its flesh and ate it ravenously.

"Do you need any help tearing it?" Snake asked, noticing Crow struggling a bit.

"I'm six moons old, I'm fine."

"Ooh, you're almost old enough to live on your own." Tawny giggled. "It's late though, you should go to sleep when you're done eating."

"Okay Mother." Crow ate quickly and walked back into the den, heaving a sigh before laying down and falling asleep.

Once Crow woke up, she scented bears. She quickly exited the den, and heard both her parents snarling near by. Crow ducked under a bush to find her parents face to face with a mother grizzly bear. It roared such a low note and so loudly that Crow felt a strange feeling within her chest. The grizzly bear struck at Crow's mother first, causing the small she-wolf to crash into a tree. Blood splattered all over once Tawny's head hit the tree. Crow watched her father's expression go from anger, to grief, and quickly to absolute rage. He flung himself at the bear, digging his teeth into its neck. The grizzly bear easily threw the wolf off, killing him with a blow to the chest. Struck with horror, grief, and fear, Crow ran away, her heart sinking and her eyes clouded with sorrow. She was on her own now. She didn't know how to hunt.. She would die! Crow kept thinking of her inevitable doom, and because she was not paying attention, she ran right into a dark, reddish-brown wolf. He looked down at the runt, anger filling his eyes. Crow looked up at him, scared.

"Who are you?" He demanded.

"C-Crow... Please don't hurt me... My p-parents th-they just... a b-bear..." Crow struggled to speak, and she collapsed, shock taking over her body. The brown wolf decided to take advantage of her needs.

"I'm Rowan. I can help you." He grinned, helping the pup up, and leading her to his den. A hollow log. Rowan healed her and helped her back to her paws within a moon.

Crow woke up next to Rowan, and she got up, stretching. Rowan got up, feeling cold where Crow had been leaning against him. He walked over to the she-wolf and grinned. "You know what, Crow?"