As Fate Turns Away

“I’m Daniel, I’m a missionary. I’m going to Somalia but I’m still stopping to Shanghai to meet my fellow missionaries who’s gonna go with me.” Then I gave my hand to her. She also handed me her left hand then I smiled at her.

               “Oh, I’m Danes. I’m also a missionary going to Somalia. And like you I’m having a stop-over in Shanghai to meet so missionaries who are going with me” she said with a smile on her face. It seems so endless. She’s the most beautiful face I’ve ever seen. I can’t get my eyes off her

               “And this is called Fate” we chorused.

               “You really looked familiar Danes” I said to her.

               She raised her brows. Every gesture she’s making makes me adore her more and make me fall too.

               “Honestly, I’m feeling the same” she said.

               After that she looked at the windows. I studied her face. Her hair is long and brown. Nothing’s really fancy about it. There’s even no clip on her hair. Her lips are not pouty but it just fits her as well as her eyes compliments her hair. Her nose is pointed and small. When I look at her body parts one by one, it’s not really that perfect. But combining those imperfections, it can give you a simple yet strongly beautiful woman. When I sat beside her a while ago, she was sleeping and I looked at her for a long time. And maybe she felt my presence, and maybe, that woke her up. My mind’s telling me that I’ve already seen her already before or have known her. I now remember that I saw her photo in a frame in Xiamen, but I know that before that moment, I have known her already.

               I cleared my voice to get her attention so that we can talk again.

               “So, are you also gonna stay I Somalia for two years? I’m glad were on the same team” I started.

               She turned her head to me. Her perfect white teeth flashed when she smiled.

               “Yeah, two years. I’m also glad that were on the same team. But why I didn’t see you in the camps? Did you just come here? “

               “Actually, I’m there but I didn’t just join. I got sick so… But it’s just fine, you know. I feel better now. “I replied.

               She raised her shoulders.

               “So, who inspired you or what made you decide to be a missionary? “She asked.

               “Oh, it was my dad who convinced me. He’s my inspiration because he’s such a great man. ‘bout you?”

               “Well, my cousin. She’s also a missionary. My parents also inspires and encourages me” She stated.

               After that, a moment of silence occurred. Maybe it’s still awkward for the both of us.

               “In what country are you from?”I asked Danes.

               “USA. And you?”

               “In Ireland”

               It took us about 8 hours to travel from Xiamen to Shanghai. Danes and I just talked and talked. The awkwardness somehow vanished and we already felt comfortable with each other that we’ve shared everything about our lives, our missions, our advocacies, and our visions. I realized that she’s not just someone with some pretty face. But she’s the one who really have principles, good attitude and very passionate about her missions. Somehow, it made me like and respect her some more. It was already late at night when we arrived in Shanghai. Our other team mates are already there. There are four of them waiting for us. And they are Allen, Shane, Fria, and my cousin, Duke.