the key

One Friday in August, a girl named Alexis was on summer holiday and her parents had to go to work. Alexis was home alone by herself in the mansion. She would wake up whenever she likes, having chips while watching movies and do anything she wanted.

While Alexis was sleeping, she heard something. It sounded like somebody’s footsteps and a girl screaming for help as if she is being tortured. When Alexis was in her room disturbed by that sound she opened her eyes and sat up. Suddenly, a girl was standing by her door covered with blood stains on her dress. Alexis was terrified. A blink of an eye, the girl was standing right at the door is gone! Alexis was confused if that was an illusion. Shortly after that, she went to the toilet. As she enters, the mirror in the toilet reflected someone she saw in the morning. She tumbled, got up and ran down to the main hall. Everything seems fine there.

Alexis realizes that the girl only appears on fourth floor. Therefore, she went up there again after she has calmed herself. While Alexis was up in fourth floor, things happen again. She stepped on a lose parquet and decided to remove and check on it. Just as she removes the parquet, there is secret pathway that leads to another room underground. She called her best friend William as she was too afraid to be alone. Rumor has it that he likes Alexis but too shy to admit it. William arrived at the mansion in just a few minutes as he lives across the street. They both went and check out the room underground. It all started from a path way like a maze, and leads to a secret door. Unexpectedly William noticed that they were standing on floor mat and discovered something under it, a key with an Egyptian Sphinx carved on it.

Lights turned automatically as they went in the secret room. It was an antique room filled with spider webs. Though the smoky and hazy ambiance, the girl appeared spoke to Alexis. You have come to a place you are not supposing to; for that, you must suffer and be dragged to the underworld. The voices came from everywhere saying I was trapped in this house under a curse. You are now under my curse. To live, you must complete do as I say. Go now to collect the 3 objects that joint altogether like a sculpture and bring it back to me for my underworld pass in 6hrs 6 minutes and 6 seconds. If not, I will collect your souls at the end of 666, and then she vanished. A note was left on the spider webs hanging ‘you will find the object in which you seek in the walls’. William then realized through the hanging of the spider webs, lies a sharp nail on wall with a sphinx on it. Despite all the spider webs hanging, they manage to push through and reached the sphinx nail. Immediately the wall

sunken in and the body of that girl in the coffin appeared. Awful smell and disgusting look almost destroy their senses. They were devastated nevertheless, they grasps that there is no other way but to concur this. Further in the coffin lies a box with the 3 objects. They hurriedly took the objects and ran out. They assembled the objects together and the girl appeared again and said, you have completed your task.

The key is to open the door to the underworld. As William putting the key slowly, the girl quickly grabs Alexis and drags her down to the underworld. They both disappeared and so did the sculpture. William stood in shock as his tears slowly dropped out from his eyes and lands on Alexis’s bracelet, he never got to tell her how he really feels about her and he opens her bracelet and it says ‘I will always love you William’. He found out that Alexis knows that she would be going to the underworld with that person but she did not tell William because she knew that he wouldn’t let her…

After the holidays, William went to school as usual with extremely heavy heart. As he enters the toilet, lights went off. And there the heartbeat stops.

                                                                                                 By Sarah Angel