Play 42: A Succubus Tragedy

Sen's eyes shifted to mine. "You are not a Yukimura, am I correct?"

I gulped loudly, about to protest, but I felt the sincerity in her words. She wanted to know the truth, even though she did have a few theories about me. I took a deep breath.

"I'm not." I sighed, feeling as if I had given up on the entire world. "My real name is Akamine Jun."

The slience was unbearable, and I didn't dare to look up as I was scared of meeting their betrayed or disappointed expressions.

Yuri's green eyes were piercing through me. "Jun, you know this is a bad idea. Shut up if you still want to live."

"I...I came from the present--the modern times." I stopped for my throat felt as if they were closing in.

"Because of Yuri's mistake," Eri spoke in that emotionless tone I'd grown used to. "Yukimura Chizuru and Akamine Jun switched bodies and souls. However..." He paused when Yuri groaned loudly, frustrated. "Jun is--was--a human, and Chizuru is--was--a demon. As they switched, the identities of their souls clashed, causing a change in species too. And now, Jun is the one who is a demon; Chizuru is the human." Eri continued to explain to the others while I stared at the floor, nervous. Yuri had given up, and was pouting, her arms folded over her chest.

"Who--no, what are you?" Hijikata growled after he specifically described the circumstances that I had to take note of.

Yuri, apparently found her way into the conversation, rose from her seat and bowed, almost as elegantly as Sen before. "Please, do excuse our poor manners. I am Yuri, and this is Eri, as you already know." She gestured at her brother, who got up too, bowing politely. "We are a pair of Byakko twins, the only ones suitable for the Byakko throne."

I gave her a weird look, and scanned the faces of the Shinsengumi men. It was then I realised that Heisuke and Saito were missing. I opened my mouth to speak, but held back just in time as Eri sighed in exasperation.

"As Byakko demons, we are supposed to watch over time and dimension. However, it was clearly a huge mistake to let Yuri keep an eye alone." Eri eyed at his sister.

"Hey! You went to the toilet, so I had to!" She protested loudly.

"Okay, that's enough." I held up my hand and rubbed my temples with another. "Can we please get this over quick?"

"Jun has to go through a portal to get back to her time. By doing so, Chizuru will return too."

"Wait, can't she stay here?" Kondou interrupted.

Yuri let out a snort. "She don't belong here. She has to go back. Also..." She giggled childishly. "If she stays with you longer, you guys will die!" The way she declared that sounded so careless it was scary.

I charged straight up to Yuri and smacked my hand over her mouth. "Shut up! You can't tell them!"

"Jun is a special kind of demon--the kind that needs life energy from people around her to survive. Succubi are rare and powerful, so that might be one of the reasons why Kazama wants her as a bride." Eri finished without even pausing, and I cursed loudly. I should have known that he would be the one saying it out.

"S-Succubi?" Kondou swallowed, a faint blush creeping up to his cheeks.

"Oh, don't worry. She can't extract life energy by doing sexual activities." Yuri pulled away from my hand and laughed as if she had won. I clutched my head--she made me sound like a whore, even though she claimed otherwise. "Anyway, she has no experience in that area, so--"

I smacked her head upside down, my face bright red. "Too much details, Yuri! And how do you even know that!?" I asked in a hushed whisper. In reply, she smirked mischievously.

"Jun could absorb life energy through the air, so staying here for too long could cause you harm, when your life energy runs out." Eri's unfeeling eyes gleamed. "And also..." He turned his attention to Souji, much to my dismay. "She can't love anyone in this era."

It was his turn to have his head smacked. "Shut up!" I hissed. "You're ruining my reputation."

"You have a reputation back in the present, but not here," Yuri muttered helpfully.

"It's still a reputation!"

"If she starts to have those feelings, she would lose sight of what she's doing." Eri ignored the both of us. I jerked my head at him and frowned, wanting him to explain more, for I had never heard that part before. "Her succubi powers are very dangerous. Once she lose control, time and dimension will merge and cause chaos."

"Huh...?" Did I just hear what he just said? That if I love someone, I would lose control of my powers? And...? All these had to be fake. They sounded so fake I wanted to laugh. "Don't joke around, Eri."

Yuri suddenly spun on the spot dramatically and pointed at me rudely. "Akamine Jun, aren't you a failure? For your parents to outshine you..."

My blood ran cold. That was a forbidden territory. I hated hearing anything about my parents success--maybe because I was scared that I would never reach their level.

I hastily put on my 'mask', something I had never done for a while now. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"I mean, it's useless whatever you do. No matter how long, how hard you chase after their footsteps, you would never make them look at you." Yuri shrugged, smiling mockingly. "How pathetic--there is no absolute way that Akamine Jun, the girl who had never experienced family love, could ever feel true love..."

Anger burnt in my chest, and before I knew it Yuri was thrown against the sliding door. The door came crashing down as Kondou got up from his seat, asking worriedly if she was alright, while the others stared in shock.

"See? You lost your control." Eri sighed in resignation. "That is why we decided to propose..." He glanced at the quiet Sen. "You should follow Sen and Kimigiku. Of course, as the ones responsible for you, Yuri and I will tag along."

My mind went blank. That...was my power? That had to be bullshit. I refused to believe it. I didn't want to believe it.

"That's only the first step, you know. You made things explode before, right?" Yuri got up, brushing dust off her clothing as if she hadn't got tossed like a rag doll.

Immediately, I remembered making Sanan's cup explode out of nowhere.

"But...I...I'm a human! I don't believe it...You want me to believe that I'm a succubus, and I did! Now..." I grabbed my head in confusion. "I...I want to go home. I can't stand knowing that I'm a monster..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And today's the day I release the new book--Code: Realise ~A Quest Of Survival, Truth, Love And Other Important Stuff~. Basically I'm focusing more on comedy in this one, while Reborn into Hakuouki!? is more about serious time-traveling business. If you enjoy this, I'm sure you'll enjoy my Code: Realise fan fiction more.

I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter!