A Love Worth Fighting

5 Years Earlier...

"Melanie! Melanie!" I craned my neck to see my best friend charging down over to me as I sat on the swing-set at Harbor Park.

Samantha had streaks of tears running down her tan skinned face. "Sam, what happened?" I asked her feeling my heart skip beats. Sam never cried, so something must of had happened.

"He asked me to prom! Hunter asked me to prom!" she shouted three octaves high then she usually would've. Hunter was this gorgeous guy who she had always admired from afar, apparently he was doing the same because the two had been together every minute for the last two weeks.

"Finally we both have dates! I was beginning to worry you would be our third wheel" I teased and winked.

"Oh shut up Mel!" she grabbed my hand, pulling me off the swing. "Come on lets go find the boys".

~~~~~~~

When we reached the Sunset Mall, we went straight to the food court where the boys said they were at. When we arrived at the food court we searched for them, finally Samantha found them seated in a booth next to Subway. When I saw him smile at me, my heart dropped. My boyfriend Mason and I have been together for 7 months now, he was my reason for everything. His big light brown eyes matched his light skin and dark, short hair perfectly. His eyes followed me as I made my way to him. He stood up and held his arms wide open as I flung my slim body to him. I love it when he holds me like this, I though to myself.

"Hey babe, I missed you. I tried to call, but you didn't pick up." He said while meeting my gaze.

"Sorry, I left my phone charging at home. I was at the park when Samantha came to get me."

"Its cool baby, don't worry about it." He broke our gaze as he let me slide into the booth and he followed.

Samantha and Hunter were in a deep conversation. We stared at them, finally Hunter asked "So you two are going dress shopping for prom?"

"Umm.. yeah I guess." answered Samantha " Or do you guys already have plans?"

I shrugged while Mason said "No we don't, you girls go head and go shopping."

~~~~~~~

Three hours later Samantha and I were done shopping. Samantha had bought a strapless, teal gown with sequence starting at the hem of the dress going up. She bought silver heels from W Shoes and new make up from Mac.

"We are going to look absolutely gorgeous tomorrow!" sang Sam as we walked to her car.

~~~~~~~

The day of prom I was waiting for Mason to pick me up. I couldn't believe how pretty I looked and felt. I was wearing a white, one strap gown with a thick gold belt that was buckled to my waist. My long dark brown hair was in beautiful curls my mother did for me and my make up was shimmery gold to match the belt. The door bell rang at 7:28 PM. I heard my mother open the door from downstairs.

"Hello, Mrs. Parker" Mason greeted my mother.

"Hello Mason, wow you clean up very well."

"Thank you, Mrs. Parker" Mason replied.

"Melanie! Mason is here, come down sweetheart."

I took a deep breath and walked made my way towards the stairs. I wasn't sure if I heard a gasp or not. But Mason just looked at me like I was the most beautiful thing he has ever seen. He made me beat red as he just stared at me and looked as though he lost his words.

"W-wow Melanie. You look absolutely gorgeous." Just as I was recovering, he made me blush again.

"You look pretty hot, yourself Mas." he gave me his devilish smile.

My mother took pictures of the both of us by the stairs. My father also came to join and warned Mason to behave.

~~~~~~~

Prom was so much fun. We danced, laughed and had the time of our lives! Mason and I won Prom King and Queen, which was totally unexpected considering all the other couples who were there. After prom, we went to go get a bite to eat at TGI Fridays. It had been the best night of my life so far, but things made a drastic change. Mason and I were walking out while Samantha and Hunter were still paying for there meal inside. Everything happened so fast then...

Mason and I were walking out talking about Prom. When a black Honda Accord drove by.

"BOOM BOOM!" Everyone outside ran in different directions I frantically look around for Mason but didn't see him. I looked down at my dress and saw blood sprinkled on my white gown. That's when I became aware of the choking sound behind me. I twirled around to find Mason laying on the cold, hard asfault covered in blood.

"MASON!" I screamed and crouched down beside him and held his hand. He was coughing up blood and I looked down at his chest were the two bullets had gotten him. I cried and screamed at this horrific sight. That's when Hunter and Samantha came running outside. Samantha screamed in horror, Hunter stood in the doorway shocked.

"Someone call the ambulance, please!" I shout to the top of my lungs. "Come on baby, keep breathing its going to be okay. You hear me?"

In a hushed, weak voice he replied "No baby, its my time. You have to be strong, I love you so much."

"I love you too I weeped, im so sorry this happened. Its gonna be okay though, your gonna live" I answered while holding his head in my lap and planting a kiss on his forehead. I could hear the sirens of the ambulance coming down the street.

He looked into my eyes "I want you to move on, its okay with me. I just want you happy. I love you." and with that he took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

"Mason, Mason!" I tried to wake him up. By that time the ambulance had showed up. I knew he was gone. I cried with the agony that swept over my body. I screamed and cried and while holding onto the lifeless body next to me.

The boy I loved was gone. He was never coming back.

My parents came to pick me up as I sat and cried in a puddle of blood alone. I sent Samantha and Hunter away, thankfully the understood and didn't take my words personally. They loved Mason too, we were all broken now.