Chapter One: The Bet

Naruto Uzumaki sighed deeply. He was currently at his locker, exchanging his books from the last three classes for the next two classes he had after lunchtime. His heart sank when he noticed the famous playboy of Konoha High, Sasuke Uchiha, surrounded by fangirls and fanboys. Even though Sasuke had a poker face, Naruto could tell that he was lapping up every single bit of attention.

To say the least, Sasuke Uchiha was popular. Very popular. He had girls and even some boys asking him on dates, bringing him chocolates, offering to carry his bag and sucking up to him just to get a chance to sleep with him. The reason why everyone loved him so much, Naruto thought, was because he was a tall, lean, young man with raven black hair, amazing grades and a stoic and cold expression. He was always stylish and everyone knew he was an Uchiha because of the family crest that was etched into his clothing. Everyone from the Uchiha bloodline was amazing in some way or another. Exhibit A: Itachi Uchiha, Sasuke's older brother. Itachi was a gentleman and had a way with the ladies. He also had amazing grades and was a pretty interesting person to talk to. Or so Naruto heard from his upperclassmen. Exhibit B: Madara Uchiha, the senior. Renowned for his combating skills, high grades and devilishly handsome looks.

However, Naruto Uzumaki was different. He had liked Sasuke ever since they were kids, before he became all high and mighty. He didn't like Sasuke because of his flashy clothes or his amazing talent or his bloodline; he liked Sasuke because they were similar and had so much more in common than you'd guess.

Okay that, and because Sasuke was inhumanly hot and he had this lopsided smirk that instantly impregnated everyone, but that's not the point.

Naruto quickly shook his head, trying to make his thoughts dispel into thin air. He awkwardly scratched the nape of his neck as he realised he'd been staring at the innards of his locker for 5 minutes and put the books he needed into his backpack. He locked his locker and started to make his way to the library, his favourite place to unwind and read a book. He only went there when he was feeling upset or stressed out and the library never failed to put him in high spirits.

Truthfully, he had Sasuke a lot more on his mind than he'd like to admit. It embarrassed him that he was like a schoolgirl in love, swooning at every little thing he did and he hated that about himself. Naruto refused to believe that he was in love, it was probably just a little crush that he'd eventually get over.

That's what he'd been telling himself since he was 10 years old.

Naruto sighed again in defeat at that thought and cast his eyes down at the ground. He took his phone out of his pocket and texted Kiba and Lee that he would be in the library for half of the break. His phone vibrated two seconds later and he glanced at the brightly lit screen.

Kiba: ok naruto den well meet u in the caf.

Lee: My youthful friend! If you are upset don't be afraid to confide in Kiba and I! I shall be awaiting at our usual table and this time I'll win the ramen-eating contest!

Naruto smiled at Lee's attempt to cheer him up but nothing would work its magic better than the library. He stepped into the school library and saw Shiho, the librarian, furiously writing.

"Hey Shiho!" Naruto greeted with a wave of his hand. Shiho looked up from her writing material in surprise and adjusted her glasses with a smile.

"Hello Naruto! Back again? I have some new books on the very last bookshelf, I think you'll like them!" She politely spoke.

"Thanks!" Naruto replied and Shiho put her head down and continued to write.

Naruto made his way towards the last bookshelf, quickly scanned through the books and picked one. He went to his favourite armchair and lazily lied down on it, balancing his book on his lap. He took out a lollipop from his pocket, unwrapped it and started eating it.