Alone

"What made you come out here?"

I remember coming to the beach in search of peace. But there were too many people occupying the sand.

"I needed to be alone," I told her.

"A little late in the day to be alone anywhere."

I had stripped down to my swimsuit and dived in. I would find somewhere to be alone eventually.

"My parents are divorcing. My little brother died two months ago."

"My condolences. What's going to happen?"

"I don't know. I'll probably live with my mom," I sighed.

I swam along the sand until I reached the docks. Someone was hiding under them.

"Who do you want to live with?"

"They're both terrible people now."

"How so?"

"My dad is always drunk. I doubt he could take care of himself let alone me. My mom is always crying and only worried about herself."

I swam over and found a person with a tail stuck in the fishing net. She gratefully accepted my help.

"An alcoholic is not a good roommate."

"How would you know?"

"I've heard many stories before."

The girl with a tail listened to my story as we sat on the rocks. I suppose I should've been shocked or worried, but she made me feel calm.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her.

"I like to people watch. Everyone is so concerned about them self. It keeps me humble."

Her tail shimmered green and blue, shining silver in the sun. It seemed like she was nervous, because it never stopped moving.

"Why would you come to the ocean to be alone?" She asked.

"It's peaceful. Where I'm from there isn't a lot of water."

"Tell me about yourself."

I studied her instead. Her skin was gray and her eyes were white. She looked dangerous, I suppose. She was covered in scales and slime. Little scars could be found all over.

"Are there more of you?" I asked instead.

"Yes, somewhere. I left. Well, I was made to leave."

"Why?"

"I got involved with humans too many times."

She slipped off of the rocks and reached for my hand. She pulled me into the water with her, stroking my arm.

"Involved how?"

"I fell in love with a girl named Ebony."

"What happened?"

She sighed and cupped my cheek. Her hand felt slimy on my skin.

"I was gone too often. The others were suspicious; they followed me."

"They saw you together?"

"Yes. They wanted to kill my Ebony."

Her touch left scales on my skin. It melted into my arms. The water around us became filmy.

"What happened?"

"I... begged for her life. They made me leave."

"What about her?"

Her face became expressionless. She ran her fingers through my hair, rubbing her cheek on mine. I gently touched the gills on the side of her neck. They opened and closed with every breath she took.

"They made me eat her."

"What? Why?"

"It's what we do. "

She smelled my neck and I knew I should feel panicked but I couldn't. I couldn't pull away.

"You eat people?"

"I fell in love with my food."

"Did you really eat her?"

My head felt heavy. My eyes wanted to close. I couldn't move my arms.

"Yes. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. They watched me, and made sure I ate every bone of her body.

Her grip on my neck tightened. Everything started to get dark.

"H-how long ago?"

"Years ago. After they abandoned me I went back."

"Did they let you?" I struggled.

"I was not there for forgiveness. I killed all of them."

I felt cold. My limbs tingled.

"I never found love again. I never had a friend again."

"I can be your friend."

She sighed into my hair. Her hand tightened around my neck even more. I could no longer see the water around me, or the sky above me. Everything was covered in slime.

"Humans are not for me anymore."

"Are you going to eat me?"

"Yes. Are you scared?"

"I should be. I'm not though."

"At least now you won't have to worry about who to live with."

"They won't miss me."

I went limp in her arms. Everything was numb but I was calm. She lowered her head to my neck. My eyes closed.