Leaving the Island

Marcel walked along the dusty path with his head down. A soft breeze swept away the hot air and ruffled his long black hair. His father had sent him out to find work, and at the age of thirteen it certainly wasn't easy. He had other things on his mind that he'd much rather be doing. However, his family was poor, as was their village. They lived on a small island in the Caribbean, lost in their own little world. Few people probably knew it even existed.

Marcel switched his gaze to the approaching town and frowned. It was quiet, peaceful. He wished that something interesting would happen, though nothing ever did. His sense of adventure, his father would say, always got the best of him. His father had also made sure to stifle it out of him, since most people living on the island stayed on the island. No one ever left. Unfortunately, his father only flowered that need.

He approached the crooked shacks the town called houses and moved along the path. The first place he'd look would be the docks, the only way in and out of the wretched place. They were always looking for new workers. The periodic sound of the waves crashing against the shore found his ears and Marcel smiled a little. He hoped Captain Will would hire him.

Several large men passed him, all carrying large boxes containing who knows what. One grunted, bumping into him as Marcel hastily moved out of the way. "Sorry." He called, but received no response. He was feeling nervous now, nervous and uncertain. He could just as easily find a job in one of the warehouses selling goods, but that wasn't what he wanted.

The captain was standing on the deck of one of the few ships in port. The sun was only just rising, casting shadows across his back. He was a big, muscular man with a stern face. He had a long, greying beard that he was currently stroking thoughtfully. Marcel climbed the ramp, keeping his balance by holding onto a rope. As he neared the Captain, Marcel tried to remain calm and confident. "Excuse me, sir." He said softly.

Captain Will turned and looked at him with a careful eye, "Yes?" His voice was gruff and accented.

"I was wondering if you were looking for workers. If so, I'm your man."

For a moment, he only stared at Marcel with raised eyebrows. Then he barked out a laugh and smiled, "Very funny kid, now get out of here."

"I'm being serious." Marcel said.

Captain Will's smile disappeared, "It was funny once, but not twice. Now get out of my sight."

"Please sir, I'm a hard worker."

The captain's large hand settled on Marcel's shoulder, and for a moment Marcel thought he might throw him overboard. "Go on now, I'm busy." Captain Will said, and Marcel sensed his anger rising.

"Wait!" Marcel was growing desperate. "I'll do anything you tell me. And I'm stronger than I look, really! I can row for you or something." The captain's expression hadn't changed as Marcel talked. "I'll... I'll clean for you. I can cook too. Anything you want."

"Are you kidding me?" Captain Will rolled his shoulders and turned away. "Fine. But you'll stay under the deck the entire time, understand. I don't want you getting in the way or messing things up. We're already behind as it is."

Marcel nodded eagerly. It didn't matter that he couldn't stay on deck, nor that he would probably be working like a slave. He would be leaving the island. He realized that that was the whole reason he wanted this job in the first place. Maybe he could slip away.

A sailor considers the sea as a companion, but they also see it as a formidable opponent. The ocean holds many mysteries, and no one would ever uncover them all. Marcel didn't understand how vast the ocean really was, and he didn't know of the threats the crew often faced. He was only just getting used to the half hazardous sway of the ship and the creak of his feet on the floorboards.