Chapter 2

Chapter 2 ~ Specimen T5

"Has your day been exceptionally well?" I hadn't realized but Dr. Moreland had come into my room. "T5?" I quickly turned my head around.

"Huh?" I asked. "I'm sorry, Dr. Moreland. I was distracted by the city." I turned my head back around to look out of my window.

"That's fine. Why don't you come over here so we can do our end of the day inspection?" Dr. Moreland asked. I absorbed one last look at the city and then let my hands slide off the window sill as I turned to go to the other side of the room.

"Will we ever be allowed to go out there?" I asked, I already knew the answer. I was just hoping for something different, a change, and by change I don't mean just some grape juice. I want real change, I want answers. I have too many questions. They just fill my head and honestly, I feel like lashing out sometimes. Maybe rebelling and getting destroyed would be easier than living the life of a lab rat, nothing but a test subject.

"T5, you know the answer to that." Dr. Moreland responded with a chuckle. T5, T5. That's all I'm known as. We don't have names.

"I guess you're right." Dr. Moreland had now gone on to measure my height.

"Take off your shoes." I slid off my plain white loafers and kicked them to the side.

"Will we ever be allowed to take just one trip down there?" I asked, this time not knowing the answer. Dr. Moreland just stayed silent.

"T5, will you please stop asking such inappropriate questions. You know the answer to all of the questions you ask me! Learn to be more like your sister! She keeps her mouth shut!" With that, Dr. Moreland snapped the tape measure back into the case. He flipped his doctor jacket up and swiftly walked out of the room, slamming the door on his way out. I just rolled my eyes and went to sit back down on the window sill. I don't understand. We aren't that much different from humans when we try. We could blend in at least for a day. I set my cheek on my hand and stared down at the little steeple that stuck up from behind a building. Then I closed my eyes and imagined myself on the top of it.

=============================================================================

"T5, it's time to wake up." I groaned and threw my pillow over my head. "Get up now, specimen!" I realized it was Dr. Moreland. "I said get up." Dr. Moreland took his tape measurer and extended about a foot of it. Then, he slapped my upper thigh with it. It stung.

"Ow! What the heck is wrong with you?" I yelled as I pushed my hand down on the now reddened mark. "I know I made you mad last night but that is seriously unreasonable!" I guess I angered him more because he grabbed my arm, at the top, and tried to pull me off the bed. I resisted and pushed him back. I hopped off the bed and stood on one side of it, while the doctor stood on the other side. "Get out!" I screamed.

"No breakfast for you... for three days!" Dr. Moreland yelled in reply.

"Oh, bummer. No stale, hardly cooked oatmeal and under ripened fruits!" I hissed back sarcastically. I don't know where this courage was coming from. I don't typically stand up to the doctors. Dr. Moreland just gave me an evil look and then trudged out of the room, still furious. I regretted it as soon as he left.

"T5? Is everything alright?" Dr. Parry asks silently stepping into the room and watching her back for Dr. Moreland. I plopped down on the bed and folded my arms. Dr. Parry came over next to me. She looked down at the tape measure sized mark on my leg and touched it. I flinched.

"Please," I begin. I tug down my white tee shirt over my white shorts so you can no longer see the mark. Dr. Parry frowned and left the room. I sat in silence thinking to myself.