Chapter 1

Toadpaw opened her eyes and blinked against the sharp, green light filtering through the birch-and-pine canopy. She lifted her head and gazed around, her brow furrowed. She remained there for a few minutes, warm and dry in a bundle of utter confusion. Everything about this place seemed different, and she wasn't sure how she had gotten here. Eventually growing tired of just laying idly, she stood up cautiously and shook the scraps of bedding from her pelt. Not willing to leave the comfort of her mossy nest, Toadpaw began to lick the tangles from her fur.

As her tongue rasped over the small knots, Toadpaw remained alert, listening to the chirp of crickets sounding from the undergrowth a little ways away and scenting as much of the forest as she could.

Once her eyes had adjusted, Toadpaw took a reluctant step forward. The forest floor felt springy beneath her feet, and she kept moving, ignoring the pine needles sticking between her toes. The air almost seemed too cold for the green-leaf likeness the forest possessed.

Although this place seemed strange, Toadpaw began to feel oddly at home. It all felt similar to her; the wind passing through the uppermost branches, the earthy smells of overturned logs, and the gentle hum that the forest floor sent up her paws. As Toadpaw turned onto a well-worn rabbit trail, she continued to struggle with the thought.

The young she-cat let her instincts take over and tuned into her senses. She perked her ears to listen for any signs of life. The chatter of distant sparrows became clearer as the pines thinned out and more light filtered in to the forest floor. The spongy carpet of needles gave away to lush patches of grass. The rushing of a river could be heard in the distance, and Toadpaw realized with a jolt that she was nearing StreamClan territory. The river that served as a border between StreamClan and FernClan was typically swift on its own, but with the added melt-water from the early Newleaf, it would be more furious than ever.

But when Toadpaw reached the river, her mind was not on the raging current, but the slender red tabby sitting beside it. Toadpaw crept back a few paw steps, letting herself be enveloped by a large holly bush. The sharp leaves pricked at her thin, brown pelt, and it took every ounce of strength she could muster to not wrestle out.

The red tabby turned, staring off into the trees, and for the first time, Toadpaw was able to get a glimpse of the she-cat's face. Her features were feminine, and her expression soft, as if she was searching for an old friend. Toadpaw's heart melted. She felt herself searching for the words to comfort the cat, and even took a step forward. That was where she made her mistake.

Toadpaw's foot landed on a sharp twig, which splintered under her weight. The wood pierced her tender paw pads, not yet calloused from warrior training. She let out a high-pitched yowl and launched herself into the air. She leaped straight up, not taking into account the thick tangle of spiny leaves that cracked and snapped at each movement she made. A group of nearby birds flew off, squawking indignantly.

The red tabby's eyes instantly darted to the holly bush, just in time to watch Toadpaw tumble out, spitting and cursing at her own stupidity. She wrestled her hind leg free from the branches and lay sprawled on the ground, the fur on her neck bristling in aggression.

The strange cat laughed quietly and padded towards Toadpaw, raw amusement gleaming in her eyes. Up close, the tabby seemed ageless and ethereal and looked as if she carried some sort of mystical aura about her. Toadpaw made an attempt to scamper back, but she tripped over her now-swolen paw, and just sat numbly, watching the other she-cat come to her.

"So this is the apprentice I'm supposed to teach," she meowed good-naturedly. Her voice rang with a bell-like quality, sending shivers down Toadpaw's spine.

Ignoring her past hostility, Toadpaw let her curiosity take over. "And what do you mean by that," she asked cautiously. "I already have a mentor."

"Your questions will all be answered in time," she said, dismissing the matter with a small toss of her head.

Toadpaw frowned, thrashing her tail against the thick river reeds that bordered the clearing by the river. "But for now, I will tell you something. I am Redstreak, and here," she meowed, gesturing all around her. "Here is where your destiny lies."

Toadpaw's jaw dropped. This she-cat, Redstreak, was a complete lizard-brain! Before she had a chance to stutter out a single word, Redstreak came even closer. She was powerless to either fight or flee with her injured paw, and could only brace herself as the she-cat touched her nose to Toadpaw's own.

The cold she had anticipated was nothing compared to the chill that radiated throughout her body. She felt as if she were being enveloped in an icy cocoon. After what seemed like moons of struggle, Toadpaw began to give in the intricate numbness wrapping itself around her brain. The blinding white light was soon replaced by a black void of nothingness.