Chapter Nine

Enjoy!-expressionwriter

*Emily's Point of View*

The medicine wore off and I was in agonizing pain. Michael couldn't get any of the nurses to come because something happened that needed their attention. You'd think they would still allow other nurses to attend to the other patients.

"It's going to be okay, Emily. I'll be right back with somebody who can help you." Michael said and left. I mentally thanked him.

Not long later a nurse came in and gave me my medicine to stop the pain. Michael gave me a concerned look. But I knew what he was thinking about.

"Why did you do it?" I stayed silent not wanting to answer that painstaking question. "Emily? Tell me why you tried to die? You practical were asking to die for crying out loud!"

"Just drop it, Michael." I answered. "The doctor told me I'll be in a wheel chair for awhile and will have to do major physical therapy. I can't even stand for more than a few seconds. It pisses me off. But I deserve this. All of this."

"Don't say that ever again! You don't deserve this, Emily. Nobody does. Not even Robin. Emily? Thank you."

"My pleasure. I will never do that again, though. Don't do it either." Michael nodded.

"I'd do it for you."

After some therapy that went on longer than I felt like it should've, I was able to lay back down on the bed with Michael still at my side. I haven't seen my family. That just proves everything I said in that awful room.

That night both Michael and I woke up from an awful nightmare. I was screaming and shaking. He just looked like he saw a ghost. All of a sudden I felt a very warm hand wrap around my arm. I cried realizing the stupid dream actually happened.

"Michael..." I passed out from hyperventilating so much.

"I think she's walking up. Emily?" The doctor said. I opened my eyes. "We need to talk. Are you up for it?" I nodded. "The worst case scenario for you is that you'll most likely never walk again. The best case scenario is you'll be good and healthy in at least eight months. I'm telling you this now because I feel like you won't want to get better. On the bright side of all of this your family bought you a wheel chair that'll definitely help you get better. We can try it out later."

"Are you okay?" Michael asked.

When I passed out I saw something. Something that I thought was only a dream, but it was actually real. As long as nobody knows about it I should be fine. I mean, we were the only ones there when it happened, Robin and I.

"I will be when I get out of this hellhole. I-I can't believe I may never walk again..."

"We don't know that for sure, Emily. If physical therapy works then you'll be healthy again."

"What if it doesn't work, Michael? What if I try my hardest and it only makes things worse for me? How can you be sure I'll be healthy again? You can't! No one can!" After my little rant, he sat closer to me.

I just snapped at him for something that isn't his fault because it was my own decision. Yet, he moved even closer to me. We barely know each other. Is he just trying to be there for me because I did save him?

"It will work. You just have to try."

"Not to sound rude or mean, but why are you still here? You haven't left to go home and back to your own life."

"Because I don't want you to ever feel alone. I know you told me to stay out of your life and I did for as long as I could. I'm done pretending you don't exist. Earlier the doctor sent me to get your family. They didn't even care where you were. The guy just assumed you were at the library. Most of the families were supposed to go to the meeting place away from the school and check out their child. Yours was at home completely oblivious of what was happening."

"That sounds like my family. I assume they left and let you come in. Great...I'm really not wanted, aren't I?" Michael didn't say anything after that. "Let's just get this whole 'stay in the hospital to practice basic physical therapy' done with so I can go home."

For the next week we started off with basic therapy and worked on me moving in and out of the wheel chair. Michael has been here everyday. Some days he'll go home for an hour or two, and then come back here. It was sometimes nice having him around.

"Are you ready?" Brett asked.

"Yeah. See you soon." I answered and hung up the phone. Brett was going to pick me up and take me home. Michael offered, but I wasn't sure how I felt about it. He has been with me the entire time I've been here. I have yet to figure out if it was because he felt guilty or grateful for what I did. Maybe it's a little of both.

"Oh, I didn't realize your brother was coming." Michael said. "Do you need any thing at all?" I shook my head. "If you do, here's my number. Don't feel weird to call or text me. Stay home for at least two weeks. It's winter break so that shouldn't be too hard. See you later, Emily."

Brett walked into the room. Michael left the room. I already missed him. Is that bad?

We drove home. I didn't want to be at the hospital and I sure as hell didn't want to be here. Brett helped me get into the house. I noticed there was nothing to help me get up or down the stairs.

"Sorry, sweetie. We were going to get stuff to help you move around the house better, but after all the medical bills for you and your sister we couldn't afford it. I'm sorry." Mom said.

"It's okay. The wheelchair must have been a fortune anyways. Besides I did stay at the hospital for over a week. Thank you. It does mean a lot to me." Mom nodded and walked out of the house.

To be honest, a part of me hoped that they would've cared just a little more about me and made space for me to live in my room. But I'm happy they got me this wheelchair to help me get around.

I decided to text Michael letting him know that I made it home okay. Brett was able to get my phone from the police because Robin did lock it in a drawer in room 913.

"Hey, Michael. It's Emily. I just wanted to let you know I made it home okay."

"Thanks for letting me know you're home. I knew you'd text me." Michael replied.

I was a little shocked. Did he really know I'd text him that when I got home?