Chapter 1

I climbed up the pure white tree and sat on one of its branches. "I should be hunting right now." I said.

"Calm down Alina. No one will find us. We have been meeting here for ten years." Kyan said. But I didn't calm down. Our clans have been rivals for hundreds of years and with the drought this year tensions were high. The clans have so many differences. My clan, the northern clan, isn't that strict and you have to fend for yourself. There aren't many punishments except for severe crimes. In Kyan's clan, the southern clan, they are severely strict. There are guards all over the place but it is more refined over there. The clans don't mix. If anyone ever knew that we met here every day, we would be accused of being spies and be executed. We met here by accident when we were children and we haven't stopped coming here since. He has been my best friend for so long, I don't think anything could seperate us. I took in a deep breath. "If we haven't gotten caught yet, we may never be." He said.

"I guess so. I worry too much." I said. He grinned and nodded and I shoved him off of his branch. We laughed and I looked at the sky. It was almost sundown. "You better get back." I said to Kyan. He nodded.

"See you later Alina." He said and began to walk back to his clan. I jumped off of the branch and walked back to mine, picking wild black berries on my way.

When I got home my mother was sewing a dress. She makes clothes for everyone in the provience. That's how we make a living to stay alive. She is such a kind, caring woman. She is generous to everyone and they do favors for her in return. Although she makes the most beautiful and intricate dresses, I choose to wear simpler outfits. I wear a leather jacket, t-shirt and jeans. My mother tells me that I should dress like we have some money, but its just not practical. Where I live, reputation is everything. Only the rich buy clothes off of my mom. If you have tattered clothes, you are a low life. If you wear a suit with fancy material, you are wealthy. What I lack in reputation my mother makes up for.

My 6-year-old sister, Mazy, ran out of our room. "Alina! Alina! Guess what!" She squealed.

"Whats the big fuss?"

"Mr. Ratliff invited us to the Crystal Ball!" She screamed. The Crystal Ball was as high up as you could get and it was a huge honor to get invited.

"Wow, really?" I said. Us getting invited to the crystal ball? This was a surprise. She nodded and watched my mom work on a aqua gown decorated with crystals. "Who is that for?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Well, it was going to be a surprise, but I'm making it for you." She said with a kind smile. I grinned and walked over to it. I felt the silky fabric that laid in layers down to the floor. Crystals embellished the bodice that had a sweet heart cut. It was simply gorgeous, although I could hardly imagine myself in it.

"Its the most beautiful gown I have ever seen." I said.

"Well I'm glad you like it." she said as I gave her a hug.

"She made me a dress too!" Mazy shrieked excitedly. She ran into our room and came back with a peach colored gown. She laid it on the table so I could get a better look at it. The dress had a one shoulder strap with a flower attached to it. The bodice was also embellished with crystals and the bottom was floor length and feathery. The dress was beautiful. "Wow, mom these are the best dresses ever." I said, truly proud of her. "Wait," a thought struck me, "what are you going to wear?" I asked my mom. She held up a finger as if to say 'one second' and ran back in her room. She came back in with a long, slim, dark blue dress. It has straps that fell on the side of the shoulders and the fabric flared out at the bottom. It was very elegant and looked expensive. "You'll look beautiful in it." I said. She nodded and smiled. "Alright, its time for you to go to bed. We have a big week ahead of us." my mother said and ushered us to our room.

A few minutes later while Mazy and I were tucked into bed I heard a scratching noise on the door. I was a little freaked out, I mean who or what would be scratching on my door? It could be a mountain lion or a mental person! I slowly and quietly got out of bed and snuck over to the door. I peered through a gap between two of the wooden boards near the door. I didn't see anything. I carefully opened the door, nervous about what was on the other side. Sitting on the porch was a tiny light grey tabby kitten. It looked starved and run ragged.

I reached down and petted it a few times before picking it up. I brought it inside and put it in a small basket along with some extra cloth laying around. I got in the pantry and got a loaf of bread. I tore off small pieces and fed it to the kitten. It made a content meow and curled up, hiding its nose under its skinny tail. It closed its eyes and fell asleep. I went back to my room and did the same as the little kitten.