Struck out

Chapter one

As the moonlight hit the lake it beamed off and reflected into her eyes. Similar to sparkling emeralds only with more emotion and innocence. When she blinked the darkness of her lids showed the true gloominess that possessed her soul. To be saved a whole new world with wonders and life would have to be created. Stretching far beyond mother nature itself this world would be simply complex. Her feelings and darkness create a labyrinth, one deeper than the minotaurs. Yet her true beauty defies all that is hidden inside. Like I said, simply complex.

If I could save Sky, believe me I would. Her problems run so deep that I fear one day her body will no longer be able to cope with the pain that she is suffering from. It will take a lot more than a friend and a new start to help. I wish there was something I could do that would stop her suffering. Only if I could go back and change the events making it so they never happened. Only if...

I know Sky blames herself for her sisters death. For not even one second did I believe it was her fault. Nobody was expecting the tsunami. The quake hit just off the coast of the main island. It was shallow, but barely felt by the towns people.

Beth, Sky's twin sister, had been offered a place amongst a larger group of 30 senior students that were to partake in a project with world vision. The project was to billet two students (along with world vision workers) to one of the main islands of the Solomon's. Once there, they were to replenish the community. Providing the people with fresh water, correct foods with the right nutrients, medicines, shelter and warmth, they were giving the people a second chance at life.

Originally Beth had decided she didn't want to go. She didn't tell Sky nor her parents. It wasn't until Beth told me. I'd made a promise to keep it a secret but some things, I believe, shouldn't be kept from others. I told Sky and her parents. You would have expected Sky to be mad at Beth, but no. They were so close, as close as where a river meets an ocean.

Sky forgave Beth straight away and wouldn't allow her not to go. She ranted on about how many opportunities it would give her for her future. How much of a better person she would become. The best one was when she said "if I were you, I'd jump at the opportunity to go. " It made Beth realise that she'd be fine without Sky for a while because Sky believed she would be able to do it without Beth.

Their parents were more than fine with the arrangement for they thought the twins were too close. Beth stayed mad at me for a while, however I knew she'd come around.

"Gate 21 boarding in 5 minutes. Boarding in 5 minutes", the flight attendant announced over the loud speaker. "So I guess this is it", I said slowly, trying not to show the trembles in my voice. 

"It is for now, but I'm coming back", Beth replied the last part with a cheerful smile. 

"I love you", my voice now just a whisper as we closely embraced. 

"I love you too Dex." 

Beth nuzzled her head into my chest. I could feel her tears slowly soaking through my thin cotton shirt. "Why'd you have to say that now", she said. 

"I wanted you to know now that I do, that I do love you." 

"Why though?" 

My gut feeling wasn't good. "Have you ever had that feeling when somebody close to you is leaving and you just don't know whether they are going to come back or not?" I said to Beth, looking down at her now. 

"I'm coming back Dex. You have to believe that. No matter where I am or what happens while I'm away, I'll always be here with you. Right here in your heart", she moved my hand to my heart. "Can you feel that? That second heart beat, think of that as mine and the first as yours. I'm always here, in your heart." 

I gave a little laugh. Beth always knew what to say. 

"Gate 21 now boarding. Please proceed to Gate 21 to board". One last tight squeeze for a hug and she was off. Whisked up by the world and into the arms of the earth.

Sky and I didn't leave the Airport until the plane had taken off and was far out of our sight. The twins parents were working and had said their goodbyes the night before. Sky had said goodbye just before me, but had to leave the terminal area for she was in no state to confront anyone.

As I drove Sky home we didn't speak a word to each other until we arrived at her house. 

"Do you won't me to come in? We could have a Transformers trilogy, like old times?" 

"Is that what you want to watch or what I want to watch", she laughed a bit as she went. It was so nice to see Sky smiling. The 2 hour car ride home had made me feel like the whole planet had been wiped clean, completely extinct, nothing living at all, it was so quiet. 

"Come in Dex, but we're watching Harry Potter instead because I don't recall ever having any sort of 'Transformers' trilogy". I just laughed in return.

We got out the car and walked towards the front door. Slinging my arm around Sky's shoulder I said to her "it's fine, we'll be fine. She's coming back." To be honest I was trying to reassure myself too.

********************************************************************************************************** 

Thank you so much for reading the first chapter!! :) I'll get the second chapter up soon! Please can you vote and comment any feedback. Thank you very much :) :) :) :)