11

I've been waiting for 15 minutes to look for a jeepney because I'm totally dead late. I have a contest in a school called Benigno V. Aldana National High School. I've been chosen as our school's representative for the essay writing contest in the English Olympic contest. Too bad, I didn't even practice.

"Mary, where are you?" A text received from my coach. "I'm on my way ma'am. I'll be there." "Okay. Be quick. You're the last one whom we will wait. The others are here." Snap. This is embarrassing. Seems like I could be scolded when I get there. Finally a jeepney came. I badly want to say "faster!" To the driver. But then, all I have to do is to wait and be patient.

When I got there, everybody was staring at me. I just wanted to die at that time but nah, I'm too young to die. I have to explore things, new and incredible things. Even our department head of the English department was staring at me and I couldn't even smile for once. "I'm so sorry I'm late." With my voice like I'm going to cry. "It's okay. Just don't do it again." Waaaah. Too glad that they did not scold me. "Well let's go then. We shouldn't be late for the opening ceremony." Said the department head.

The trip was almost 1 and a half hour for us to get there. We've arrived 9:30 am but the ceremony haven't started yet. It's all the same. There are a lot of municipalities that are competing for the different contests. 22 municipalities. And there are only 5 winners for every contest.

My contest started after 20 minutes of having the opening ceremony. As usual, we have 1 hour to do the essay. It's tiring yeah but I have to do my best to honor my school. After 1 hour, we have finished the the contest. My coach asked me, "how was it?" "Well it's a bit difficult for me to think of the ideas with this kind of topic but I think I did good, but not the best." I chuckled. I just have to wait for the announcement of winners this afternoon.

That was around 4' o clock in the afternoon where the announcement of winners occurred. I'm now 100% sure that I'm not included in the winners. But before that, the emcee asked for volunteers to have their intermission number. There are some who sang and danced. They have a lot of talents, unlike me. "So we have the last volunteer for the intermission number coming from the school of San Jacinto national High School." I was not listening that's why I'm not quite sure if I heard the right school. They clapped their hands. And someone went up to the stage. He was wearing pure white shirt. Pants. Snickers. And eyeglasses. He was offered to use the mic but he was going to dance. And boys who knows how to dance attracts me the most. He was doing a robotic dance and some popping. My mouth just kept open and I didn't know. I was looking at him. Staring. Then I have realized that he's someone I've seen before. Snap. He's the one I saw at 7/11. The height. The presence. The face. The hair. All of it. It was him.

I never thought I could see him again. I thought that's the first and last time my heart would beat fast when I see him but butterflies started coming to me again. Still, I don't even know you but why? He was starting to dance that make me like him more. The music stopped and he was smiling because everybody cheered for him, including me. I just couldn't believe it. Until now.

The announcement of winners, finally, has begun. All of the winners of the different contests have been said, including his. He was the fifth winner of the impromptu contest. I badly want to say congratulations but I can't, in fact, YOU'RE JUST A STRANGER. And now we're about to go. You were in front holding your bag. I passed again your presence, looked back. And you know what I saw? Him. And he was looking back at me.