The Ones who Wonder Most

These kind of days are nice. Not usual, either, which make them more special. Not that the normal day is too bad either. I trotted down 11th street to the local cafe to get a coffee, which was a treat of mine. Sometimes it is really nice to have a day off. 

As I walked into the little shop, I noticed that there was less people than average there, which made my day even better. I did a good job talking to the barista taking my order as well, better than last time. I wouldn't blame it on social anxiety, either, because I haven't been diagnosed to have it. As I sat down on a bench looking out the glass wall of the cafe, sipping my piping hot espresso, I lost myself in the peace of Regency City that day. The only people out for walks on the sidewalks were couples, young and old. Children were skipping along as well, with their parents following a little ways behind, but just close enough to keep a close eye on them. It was just about to rain, but it was still warm outside. I gazed at the peaceful skyskrapers, the grey sky, and some pigeons flying about the air, and just thought of how they were making things work in their peaceful little lives. As I sank into the cafe's leather sofa deeper and deeper, I melted into relaxation, but still had an anxious energy. Breathe, Seira. Relax your arms and shoulders. Now your legs. You don't need them as much today. It helped somewhat. My keen senses aren't always an asset, especially when it comes to just finding peace and quiet.

As my mind trailed off while gazing at the gray city, I thought about my week with my friend Hall. Technically, friends aren't encouraged, or necessarily allowed within teams, but he was really my best friend. I don't have many people I know anyway, but even if I knew many more people, he would still turn up to be a best friend. Despite all the business stuff and missions, he talks to me all the time, and that is really nice to have. I talk to myself too much, and having another person to talk to keeps me happier. 

Anyway, this week on missions with Hall was a lot more difficult than usual. The missions were more advanced to execute, the physical training was more intense, and the Corporation kept an extremely close eye on us, I don't know what for. But occasionally, on the usually silent trips when we would do an assignment, he would hum silly little songs, and I think he did that on purpose to get those joyous heads stuck in my head on the intense parts of the assignment. As I would slither through a building pipe, or tap into a wire for a camera, I would have poppy songs moving through my body. EXTREMELY frustrating when I would have to be dead silent and be humming and tapping my foot to  "Julia My Darlin' ". Cruelly silently laughing while I unconsciously hummed the tunes, Hall would also shake his hips to my humming. Yes, strange indeed.

I giggled to myself as I sipped my somewhat lukewarm coffee again. I pulled my rosy knit sweater over my scarred white hands. I'm very pale; we aren't allowed to go out in the sun because of more reason to point out physical attributes just in case we get caught, but the slashes and scars are covered up by the suits. Checking over the counter at the barista to make sure they didn't see my sliced up porcelain skin, I gulped the rest of my drink, threw it away without a sound and gracefully left the cafe without talking to anyone on the way out. 

When I felt a few drips run through my pixie-cut brown hair, I pulled out my parasol-like black umbrella and trotted downtown. Being a pedestrian rather than undercover walking down the shopping strip was something I haven't felt in a month or so. 

Now I'm getting bored of the little joys of walking down foggy 11th street. My mind is filled with the plans about tomorrow, and what assignments I will complete. As a pigeon landed down by my feet, it made me look at my black ankle tracker bulging beneath my pants. Which reminded me that I should get back to the center.

Normality was fun for today.