Valley of The Dolls (Short Horror Story)

Valley of The Dolls

(Short Horror Story)

A witch, a vampire and a damsel in a sparkly pink dress walk into the gym as a mass of bodies move in a mind-numbing chaos of repressed teenage lust. Leave it to Cheshire State High to turn prom into a massive joke!

Prom was meant to be real dresses, strait tuxedos and a live band. But of course my school would go for the dress-up theme and tacky streamers. Not to mention that my sixteenth birthday was supposed to be anything but this. So what am I even doing here?

The music is way too loud- the same dull thump keeps pounding over and over again in my ears. It's been playing like this without a change for forty minutes. I would have had a word with DJ if it weren't for the fact he's a massive pervert.

Running the stiff lace of my Marie Antoinette dress between my fingers, I wonder if any of these students have a clue as to what a real party looked like. Maybe they don't care. Everyone just seems overly keen on dancing to the techno music like a bunch of drunkard idiots.

I spot my date who ditched me around a half hour ago grinding against some blond bimbo. She grips Chase around the neck so tightly she's probably suffocating him half to death. Serves him right!

Their bodies' press firmly together as they sway against the beat, Chase's slimy hand roams over the blond's skanky black dress in an intimate way. Clearly she didn't get the memo that this is the school prom, not her next shift at Hooters.

I'm standing in the corner of the gym just because I don't want to be here and I don't mind anyone else knowing about it. Sure it's awkward all by myself, but it sure beats associating with people who haven't figured out how to use their brains yet.

My eyes lock with Chases suddenly, realising that I have been staring at him intensely. His piercing brown eyes mock me cruelly, enjoying the discomfort I'm so obviously feeling. Just the sight of his sardonic smirk sends me charging towards the exit. Chase was my ride, but I think I'll just walk home instead.

The music suddenly shifts into something slow and romantic, so couples are forced to change the way their bodies move with the rhythm. I jerk to a halt when I realise I'm about to bump into someone. I look up to meet the dark eyes of a mysterious-looking man, then I freeze, completely star struck by his beauty.

He's dressed all in black; consisting of a tight fitted tuxedo, with a matching tie and shinny expensive-looking shoes. His luscious hair is midnight black too, sticking to his forehead and ears.

He stands taller than me by about four inches, and as I dance my appreciative gaze over his pale skin, I wonder where he has been hiding himself. Because I know that I've never seen this delicious human being before in my life.

"Why hello there," he says, as he takes my hand and plants a soft kiss on the back of it. "What's your name, love?"

I notice that his accent is kind of slow, laced with a crisp preciseness that hints at strong taste and sophistication. I can feel my heart respond with erratic palpitations, this sexy man clearly knows what he's doing in the ladies department.

"Kate," I tell him. "And you?"

"It's very nice to meet you, Kate. The name's Derrick," he introduces himself, confidently.

"You're not from around here," I confirm out loud.

"I'm an exchange student," he says smoothly. "I'm a senior, but I take it that you're a junior."

"Yes I am... Do you want to dance?" I offer him randomly, nervously.

I fear that he might get bored of me and walk away, or worse, someone might take his arm and claim him. So I have nothing to loose in asking him to dance.