What if?: Chapter 1

What if we could turn back time?

Change a flaw that we suffer from, a mistake we made to someone close or even the chance for true love.

1 train. 2 people. 3 letters.

“Well… Good Morning New York. It’s another bright sunny day in the big apple, I don’t know about you Jen but I don’t think I would want to be inside right now, what do you say?”

“You’re right Mack. It’s too beautiful outside to miss an opportunity like this.”

Yeah…well I would, slamming my hand down on the alarm clock. I roll on to my back fighting the urge to sleep in for another 5 minutes. I stretch my arms giving out a big yawn almost whacking my hand on the picture frame above me.

I stumble out of bed then quickly gain my balance looking at myself in the mirror. Argh my hair is everywhere; I look like a train wreck. I place my hand up to my mouth and breathe on it then raising it to my nose, Oh sweet Mother my breath stinks as hell.

I walk into the bathroom and strip off all my clothes and hop into a nice warm shower. I wash my hair and brush my teeth as well it helps not waste water. I’ve been having financial struggles but I’ve got a decent job, well you know just the casual job of personal assistant to Andrea Corella, editor of the top-selling magazine in New York. You would think scoring a job like this I would get a decent pay but really it doesn’t walk like that here and I learnt that the hard way but the second I hit the big time I’m out of this apartment, this job and this boring life.  

I turn off the shower and with the last drop I feel fresh and wide awake.  I wrap my towel around my body and walk over to my drawers pulling out some underwear and placing them on. I open the next draw and pull out a maroon tank top and a black skirt which ended mid-thigh.  

After zipping up the skirt I walk over to my, well if you can call it a wardrobe and pulled out my pale purple blouse and putting one arm and then the other in adjusting it at the collar. I grabbed out my black stellos and slipped them on then grabbing my black shoulder bag.

I walk over to my kitchen and take my phone off charge, checking if I had any messages. Nothing… well Miss Popularity everyone loves you.  I throw it in my bag along with my purse and walk out the door locking it behind me.  Walking down the hall I pass the Managers room, picking up my speed but it was too late I was caught out.

“Miss Connors”

“Mr Walter, how are you this fine morning?” Hopefully my charm will get me out of this… I guess wrong.

“Don’t try pulling that on my Connors, you haven’t paid your rent for last month and I’m also guessing you won’t pay this month’s either.”

“I’m really sorry Mr Walter but I’m having money troubles and-.”

“No excuses I want the money by the end of this week or I will have no choice but to kick you out.”

“But Mr Walter-.”

“No Buts! Money by Sunday this week or its bye bye luxury apartment and hello street rats.”

“This place is more like a deters prison…” I mumble, letting out a little giggle.

“So you think this is funny?”

“I wasn’t laughing at this sir it was just uhh… well.”

“By Friday.”

“Friday…? Get you the money by Friday?! What happened to the end of the week?!”

“You complain, I change and if I do hear another word out of you about this the due date will come much sooner.”

“Fine… I’ll get you your precious money by Friday.”

“Good! Now you have a nice day Miss Connors.”

“Yeah you too” I mumble under my breath which even I couldn’t hear. “Asshole”

“Sorry what was that?”

“Nothing…” Flashing a fake smile then turning on my heel and walking to the elevator pressing the down button.

The elevator doors opened in a matter of seconds, walking in and pressing number 1 I watched as the doors closed and at that time my phone went off. I opened it to a text message from my boss:

Le Devil (I know I would get fired if she saw the name I put but come on it would totally be worth it!): Samantha, pick up my order of dresses at Macy’s and my usual order from Starbucks.  P.S Be here in 20 minutes!!

Oh joy… I already know this is going to be a long day, so I don’t count on anything good happening in-between it all. Wait… 20 minutes?! But the train ride there takes about half of that and then picking up the dresses would take another 5 and Starbucks the other 5 maybe 3 if the line isn’t long. By the time I get everything I’m sure I was going to be late and be fired for sure with no money to pay rent and will be out on the streets, making friends with the street rats.

I watched the top of the door as the numbers changed 4…3…2…1

 It was like my own little count down and the second those doors opened I bolted out of there like a completely maniac.