Chapter one

I slowly made my way through the streets of Rome. Everything was so different here compared to my home town back in South Africa. After looking for a job for the past two weeks with absolutely no luck on my side, I started questioning if my choice to start off a new life here in Italy was indeed the right decision.

I knew absolutely nobody, I stayed in a shelter for the homeless for the past two weeks I've been here and the money I managed to save back at "home" wasn't enough to survive much longer.

The homeless shelter only provides evening meals to the homeless which left me with no choice but to buy my own food besides there were still cabs I had to catch to take me around and oh boy the prices were indeed ridiculous! I need to make a plan, and fast!

The sun was starting to set and i looked at the time on my watch. "18:45PM" I exclaimed with nothing but shock. Shit, I was never going to make it back to the shelter in 15 minutes. They hand out our meals at 19:00PM and the people who are not there simply doesn't get supper. "Oh well, there goes my supper" I said hopelessly with a pinch of irritation.

It started getting chilly and I felt my stomach started grumbling. Damn, the last time I ate was this morning. I started walking towards the café across the street, hoping there would be something cheap on the menu. Maybe there could even be a possible chance of a job there.

With my body full of hope and confidence, I crossed the quiet street.

As I entered the café, the smell of caffeine and good junk food hit my nostrils like a bomb. Shit that smells good. My stomach started grumbling all over again and I made my way to the counter where a man stood behind the cash register. He was probably in his mid forties. Let's hope he speaks English.

"Hi there, could I please have the cheapest thing on your menu with a coffee?" I said immediately regretting it. I mean I know I'm broke but shit, I don't want people knowing that.

He looked at me as if I was crazy. He said something back in another language. Shit, probably Italian.

"Uhh, I can't speak Italian. Would it be okay if you could speak English?" I asked rather nervously.

He looked at me even more confused along with a bit of irritation. He then went on speaking Italian, threw his hands up in the air with frustration and walked to the back of the café.

I was in complete shock! He should have more respect for a paying customer! There goes my hopes for a job here on top of it..

I stood there looking around. The café was really quiet. "Maybe it was because of his stinking attitude" I stood there laughing childishly at my comment.

"Hey you can always share this pizza with me if you'd like to?" I heard a female voice half shout behind me.

I turned around and saw a girl sitting at one of the ridiculous red tables behind me. She was nothing older than Twenty-Three. Her dress code surprised me though. What's with the outfit you would find in a brothel? God, were those fish net stockings? Oh shit and those bright red stripper heels?

She knocked me out of my judgemental zone with her clapping her hands and giggling like a child.

"Uhm, sorry what?" I said confused and still a bit disgusted in the way she treats herself. "I was wondering if you like to help me finish the pizza, I got to be at work in 30 minutes, I will never finish it on my own in time."

Oh yeah, she definitely works at a brothel I thought.

Ewww. What if I pick up some sort of disease?

Well since life can't get worse than this. Plus I'm starving. "Sure." I said nervously as I sat down getting stuck into the pizza.