Prologue

Prologue

The sound of clashing steel echoed through the valley as she stopped the man dead in his stride. The other soldiers stared in disbelief as her blade cut clean through the man's sword and torso. Fear and panic swept over the men as she turned her attention to them. A sympathetic smile crowned her lips as she readied herself for the next attack.

Blood from her last victim washed down her body, tracing the scars from previous battles like an old map, as she stood firm in the rain. One of the men, despite the previous warning, seemed to have found the courage to force a shout.

"It's one woman, how hard can it be to kill her?" he said not only to reassure the others, but himself also.

Filled with renewed vigor and hope the men lunged at her with swords drawn. To their suprise their blades met no resistance as they pierced her flesh. She had not moved or even attempted to defend herself.

Could this really be it?

Is it over?

Their thoughts of finally being able to return home to their loved ones were swept away by soft laughter. Terrified they withdrew, leaving the swords in her, like some kind of pin cushion. What was this devil that had manifested before them from whatever hell they believed in.

"Do you think this will stop me? Do not be afraid, you shall join your gods soon enough," her voice was gentle and divine.

Blood trickled from her mouth as she slowly pulled the blades from her chest, one by one. She seemed unphased by the obviously grave wounds. Then within the blink of an eye and the flash of her sword, she cut down the men. She moved with feline grace and agility, unhindered by her injuries.

Finally, I feel again. She thought as she fell to her knees, content once more. Her hands clutched her chest as she gazed up at the sky. Her eyes pierced the heavens as the rain fell upon her angelic face.

She could feel death's cold grip on her shoulder as he tugged at the last ounce of her strength.

"Let go," a voice whispered to her.

She smiled as she began to lose consciousness. Darkness began to cloud her vision as she slumped over, soon to join the corpses around her.