The Invite

I wasn’t 100% sure that this was actually happening. Nate Mason, the most popular and most adored guy in the entire school, was talking to me. As he smiled and raised his eyebrows questioningly I realised that he had asked me a question and that I had been too busy wondering if I was dreaming to have actually being listening to him.

“Ummm…I, uh, sorry what?” I blushed. He laughed and leaned against the lockers. He glanced down at me smiling “I said do you want to come to Trent’s party with me Friday?” I’m pretty sure I stared at him for about 30 seconds before answering, “Yeah ok, I guess”.

“Great, pick you up at 8” and with that he walked off.

Now I know I’m probably sounding like a lovestruck fangirl to the popular guy but that was not the case. Well maybe a little bit, but mostly I was just surprised he was even talking to me. I wasn’t a social outcast but I wasn’t popular, I was just your average run of the mill high school senior. He was on the football team, loved by the entire school, and surprisingly known to be one of the nicest guys in the school. We weren’t friends so the fact that he had approached had left me a bit shocked.

As I stared after him my best friends Amber and Leah walked over.

“What’s wrong with you?” Amber joked as she saw my expression

“Nate just asked me to go to Trent’s party with him”

They both raised their eyebrows, “Since when are you and Nate friends?” Leah asked

“Since now apparently”

“OMG, this is awesome! Nate is gorgeous, and so nice” Amber grinned “you said yes right!?”

“Of course I did” I laughed “I could hardly say no, that would be rude” I smirked and blushed.

“Well we are definitely coming with you”~

“He’s picking me up”

She smirked “Well then we’ll help you pick your outfit then just bump into you there”

Leah glanced at her watch, “We need to get to class guys” I noticed that the halls were almost empty and that we were probably going to be late.

“Oh no, I have math with Mr Yates” I sighed, my happy mood almost disappeared.  I sucked at math and Mr Yates was the most boring teacher ever. 

Amber and Leah both walked off as they had English together next. I briskly walked down the hall a small hint of a smile still on my face. Nate really was a good guy and definitely hot! As I rounded the corner I bumped into someone. A strong arm grabbed me as I almost fell. I glanced up and suddenly felt nervous. Zach Mason stood there smirking at me. Nate’s twin was equally, if not more, gorgeous that Nate. But that was the only similarity. Whilst Nate had dark hair, Zach’s was more blonde. Nate was popular and liked by all whereas Zach was the resident bad boy.

Zach smirked, “what’s got you all red and flustered”

“Not you if that’s what you’re thinking” I snapped back, I did not need Zach thinking I was attracted to him.

“Have you seen my brother lately by any chance?” I looked up, something in his voice held a different meaning to the question. His smirk grew wider, “I guess he was right” he said as he started to walk away.

It took me a couple of seconds to register what he had said. I spun around, “What do you mean? Right about what?”

He turned back around, “Bye Megan”, smirking he walked off, leaving me confused and late for class.

After been told off in front of everyone for being late to class my mood had definitely plummeted. Luckily Mr Yates had only given me a warning to not be late again. What had Zach meant? Something about what he had said made me feel uneasy. What had Nate been right about? What had Nate even thought about me? But then again, Zach and Nate didn’t even talk; everyone knew that, so I wondered whether he had even said anything. Was Zach just trying to get this response from me? I decided to let it go, the latter was probably true.

When the bell rung for the end of class Mr Yates asked me to wait behind. “Megan, your grades last year weren’t good, I know you struggle with math so maybe you should consider getting a tutor before you get behind”. I knew this wasn’t a suggestion, I was getting a tutor whether I wanted to or not.

“Yeah, I guess that would be a good idea”

“Great, I’ve got someone in mind, I’ll check first and get back to you”.

I chucked my bag on the floor of the car as I slid into the back of Leah’s car. “What’s up with you?” she asked. “Mr Yates is making me have a tutor, we’re only two weeks into the semester, I’m going to be stuck with a tutor all year” I moaned.

“It’s probably a good thing, at least you’ll get good grades” Amber piped in. I knew she was right, I just really didn’t want to spend extra time doing maths every week with someone I didn’t even know.

As we drove home I told Amber and Leah about what Zach had said. “Ignore him” groaned Amber “He’s just trying to wind you up, he probably saw you talking to Nate and thought it would be funny”, Leah nodded in agreement. I decided they were right, Zach was probably just trying to mess with Nate again.

 When we got to mine we all got out. We had decided to hang out at mine for the night. I put all thoughts of Zach to the back of my mind as we spent the next couple of hours talking about Nate and Amber and Leah’s crushes and watching movies. I could not wait for Friday to arrive.