The Beginning

It was June 29, 2002, when I discovered this power. It was storming outside of my me and my moms apartment. My dad died while my mom was pregnant, so I never had the chance to meet him. My mom was in the kitchen, baking for the woman downstairs baby shower. I was told not to eat anything in the kitchen, as the lady was quite picky of the exact number number of treats she wanted but was also quite rich. She only lived in an apartment because her husband dumped her after he found out she was having twin girls and there wasn't a boy. After all, she won all the money, but said she "had a small family, and small families need only small homes." Back to what I was saying, I really wanted a cookie with the beautifully iced cherry blossom pink flower on top. Now, my mom is a smart woman. She knew if she went downstairs to bring a few boxes to the lady, I would go in the kitchen and sneak a cookie, which is a big deal, as the lady had tantrums because of her hormones, and would fire my mom on the spot if a cookie was missing. So my mom's solution was to lock the kitchen door and take the key with her. Don't worry, she had everything in our home that I couldn't touch drilled into my head. Don't touch the vase. Don't touch the outlets. Don't touch the a/c unit. All drilled in my head. I sat down too close to the tv and turned it on. We had an older model, so you had to turn it on on the tv. I lifted my hand to turn it on to watch Sesame Street or the muppets. when lightning struck and the electricity went through the cord and passed through my body. It felt like I was burning, and to this day, I have a small scar on my hand from where the electricity burned me. I screamed so loud three of our neighbors came running down the hall toward me. Harsey, our twenty year old neighbor who just finished nursing school to have an income while auditioning for acting roles, came and screamed in a scared manner what was wrong. I said through my yells of pain and tears what had happened. She tore off my green, sequined romper and tried to get to the kitchen to get a cold towel to put over my burns. But the door was locked. I screamed at the top of my lungs, "OPEN UP YOU STUPID DOOR." Then, as of some sort of miracle, the doors lock came undone and Harsey was able to wet some towels with cold water and and put them over me. She sat at the couch and looked at me anxiously, as she realized she didn't kick the door in, but it unlocked by itself, or in my scenario, because of me. Now, Hasey was the kind of person who believed in aliens, Bigfoot, vampires, you know? She was totally convinced that I had powers because of the lightning and I opened the door through my mind. She was right too. My mom came running up the stairs with the paramedics and the other neighbors who had went down seven flights of stairs to get my mom. They strapped me to the board as I watched Hasey tell mom what she truly (and is actually the truth) believed had happened. My mom, however, didn't believe in that stuff until what happened until after we had gotten home from our trip to the hospital.