ONE SHOT: Goodbye, Memory

I seldom speak, only when I'm asked to. I don't have any friends, it doesn't really change anything. I'm not lonely, I have myself. Why should I even bother to fit in with the rest? I belong in my own world. But it does not really mean that my hard is as cold as December, because I also know what it feels to fall in love.

He's the guy whom everyone wants to be with. He fits in perfectly with the surrounding, he smiles like he knows he won't lose anything, and he's exactly the opposite of me. He exists, and I don't. He does not know me, neither do the others. If ever I were to change my lifestyle, I could maybe see myself in him. We'd sometimes see each other in the corridor, but being the coward I am, I would run away before he catches a glimpse of me. I'll keep a safe distance, and just look at him from afar.

However, it all turned out differently one afternoon while I was at the library. I was looking for a book that I had always wanted to borrow, but just couldn't. It was always out of the shelf, which means it's always borrowed. Until someone from the other side of the shelf I was facing passed and returned a book. I couldn't clearly see where he went after that. I checked what it was, and it was the book I was searching for! I forcefully pushed my hand through the spaces between the books, accidentally, I knocked the rest and they came falling down. That was when I heard an "Ouch!" on the opposite side.

W-What should I do?

Before he could stand up from being seated on the floor, I grabbed a book and covered my face with it.

"I-I'm sorry.." I told him with the book still on my face.

When I heard him chuckle, I immediately recognized who he was. "I'm fine. So, you don't really have to cover your face."

I shook my head. I have to ward him off somehow.

"Do you... not like me, perhaps? Did I somehow offend you that ma-"

"NO!" The words came out as a shout. I did not want him to misunderstand, which leads me to how embarrassing that was. How horrible this is. I heard him chuckling again.

"You know, you're very interesting.."

Now he thinks I'm some kind of a weird girl who'd try to amuse him. Great.

"If you don't mind, I'd really want to talk to you. So, why don't I sit back on the floor with my back on the shelf? Is that alright?"

I heard him move for a bit and as I peeked through the gaps of the books, I saw him back at his original position. I sat on the floor too, leaning my back on the shelf. This way, we won't see each other.

"Do you... often spend time here?" he began to ask.

"It's quiet and it's comfortable for me... to spend time with the books."

I could just imagine him grinning on the other side.

"Were you sleeping awhile ago?" I asked.

"Heh. You found out? Well, sometimes, the world can be stressing. You need to find a way to escape it every chances you get."

Hmm. He's actually a deep guy. I stretched my legs on the floor and heaved a sigh. It makes me wonder how and why he could casually start a conversation with me.

I slightly turned my head on the side, and he had completely rested himself.

"Do I... know you?"