The Tube origins

2046, every house comes pre-installed with a tube.

The tube was originally created in 1927 and was considered a fad at the time. In a post world war one society, the tube was amazing. It provided mindless entertainment, but it wasn't until the 1990s when more was added to the tube, more information to occupy your time.

By 2010, over 600 inlets for you to look at.
In the year 2025, the tube could scan your mind and figure out what you wanted. At this point, people didn't want to work and robots where advanced enough to work for us. The only people that worked where working on the tube. The robots required no money so the people got everything they needed for free. Food, Water, Clothes, and more importantly, the Tube.

In 2036 some of the machines acquired sentients. The machines worked with the 1%, the people who controlled what was on the tube, to control the mindless sheep who worshipped the tube. Religion was practically phased out. 98% of the population was completely fixated by the tube, another 1% controlled the tube, and the last 1% was the opposition who worked against the tube. The people who had broken away from the tube. Escaped from the matrix. They used alternative media to spread the word. Little did they know that the machines had sent in shills to misinform people about the tube and who controlled it. Eventually every form of alternative media was plagued by the shills. The tube has taken over. Crime had practically been eradicated except for the freedom fighters who would use EMPs to shut down tubes for a while and cause brief chaos.

On February 10th, 2046 a few freedom fighters had hacked an Inlet on the tube and where able to project their message freeing many people, many where killed by assassin drones sent by the machines to hunt down the freedom fighters. This is where our story starts.