I Care

Inside the G8 meeting, the nine nations sit, bantering about extraneous matters. Alfred is animatedly speaking to Kiku about video games. Feliciano, Lovino, and Francis discuss their cuisines. Ivan and Matthew chat quietly about the upcoming winter. Arthur and Ludwig talk of the seemingly bipolar weather.

At ten o'clock sharp, Ludwig clears his throat. Somehow, the others manage to quiet down, looking at the now-standing man. "Well, today's issue is the emission of greenhouse gasses."

They all nod, keeping quiet.

"I can talk to my boss about research," Kiku offers.

"Thank you."

"Hai." The older man bows his head.

"I'll try to send research money!" Feliciano adds, smiling.

"As will I," Arthur nods.

"I can start more research!" Alfred beams, sending a thumbs up.

A small chuckle is heard. All eyes fall on the Russian at the end of the table. "Oh, did I interrupt? I'm sorry."

"What's so funny, Russia?" Alfred questions, eyes narrowing oh-so slightly.

"You say you'll research more, but it seems like your pride is speaking, not your heart."

"I don't see you offering any more help," the American snips.

A dark shadow crosses the face of the Russian. "I would if my boss would let me."

"What, you can't act on your own, commie?"

"Alfred..." Arthur starts, his fatherly warning tone hinting at his accent.

"You don't understand," the Russian states, hints of sorrow dripping from his voice.

"Why are you here anyways? You've been suspended from the G8, don't you remember, Rasputin?"

Ivan grits his teeth. "You don't understand."

"I understand that you're a wussy Ruskie."

Ivan stands, slamming his hands on the table. His eyes face the table, hair covering his face. "I am not a wuss."

The American, oblivious that everyone else has gone rigid, stands as well, crossing his arms. "Well then," he smirks, "prove it."

In a matter of seconds, the Russian has his gun pulled. It's pressed right between the American's eyes. Staring wildly into Alfred's eyes, he hisses "I'll damn well prove it."

The others stare, eyes the size of the moon. None of them move or even dare to make a noise. They just watch.

"Then do it," Alfred states after a minute.

The Russian stares at him, an unspoken anger held in their shared gaze. After another moment of silence, Alfred notices those amethyst eyes shining with unshed tears. Before he can react, the pressure from cool metal of the handgun is removed from between his eyes.

He watches the Russian sit, platinum blonde hair covering his eyes. Something compels the American to sit quietly, instead of throwing another insult.

The room is silent for a few minutes, before Ludwig continues. However, tension is thick in the air. The others barely speak; unlike usual, there are no other quarrels.

Once the meeting is over, Ivan speeds out, eyes downcast. He doesn't even acknowledge Kiku when he asks a question. All the while, Alfred watches as the long, white scarf flutters behind. He stares at the door long after the Russian is gone.