It's Your Choice

Friday morning Courtney woke up to her phone buzzing. She looked at the clock by her bed. It read 5:46. "Who on earth, is calling me at this time?" Courtney thought as she rubbed her eyes. She picked up the phone. It was Scott. She slid the bar on her phone to answer the call.

"Hello?" Courtney said in a groggy voice.

"Hey, Court. Sorry I woke you up." Scott said. " I hate being called that, and 5:00 hours in the morning is not the best time for it."  Courtney thought.

"It's ok...Can I ask why you are calling me?" Courtney said.

"I love you." Scott blurted out.

"You, what?" Courtney asked.

" I love you, Courtney. I really do, and I always have. I should have never let you go, I want you back."

"Scott, why did you call me this early, to tell me you love me? Are you awake? Are you going this in your sleep?"

"No, Courtney. I haven't slept all night. Because, I love you and I need you to love me. Without you, Courtney, I am nothing and can do nothing. I need you to live.  You are the air I breathe. " Scott confessed.

"Scott, I highly doubt you've gone without breathing all summer." Courtney said.

"That is not the point, it was a metaphor. The thing is Courtney, I know I was a selfish jerk, who just flat out told you that He didn't love you as much as another girl. I'm sorry. I truly am."

"Look, Scott. I forgive you. But, I am happy with Ryan."

"Right now, but when he hurts you, you won't be. I'll be here."

"Scott... I don't think that you are thinking straight right now. We can talk later, after school maybe, but now I'm tired, you're tired. Let's get some sleep." Courtney bargained.

"Okay, good night, Lovely." Scott said hanging up the phone.

   "Good night, it's morning, you love struck fool." Courtney said as she rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. But, she couldn't. Her mind was racing with memories of when she and Scott were dating.

   She remembered when she and Scott went with his family to New York the first summer that they were together. They snuck out and went to time square and he kissed her for the first time. She remembered how she felt. She felt excited, like there was a rush of wind blowing around in her heart. Her heart was beating wildly, and Scott noticed it saying, "It's ok, we won't get caught, I love you." and then they snuck back into their separate hotel rooms.

   She remembered when Ryan took her to the beach and the laid on the white sand all day. Ryan would tell her how beautiful she looked in the sunlight, even though his mother was keeping an ear open,listening to them the whole time. Ryan wasn't ashamed of her. Or his love for her. She remembered how Ryan kept his arms around her, or held her hand, no matter what they were doing. She was in love now... Just like she was in love then.

  "Am I still in love with Scott. The butterflies in my stomach when he called me, the lack of air, the thrill. Do I love Scott? Do I really love Ryan? I know Ryan really loves me. He has no problem showing it. But, do I? Why does Scott all the sudden just pop up, when I am having the time of my life with Ryan?" Courtney thought.

   Emily walked into her room. "Courtney, are you talking in your sleep?" She asked.

"No, Scott called me and told me that he loves me." Courtney said, still in shock.

"What?"

"You heard me."

"What did you tell him?"

"To go back to bed, that we would talk later, after school. Why are you up?"

"I couldn't sleep."

"Seems like none of us can."

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't know. Right now I'm having flash backs. I think I'm falling for him all over again."

"You do?" Emily said as if she understood.

"What should I do?" Courtney asked.

"What you think you should do. It is your love life, your choice." Emily said as she got up and went into the kitchen.