A trip down memory lane

"God! My head hurts like shit" I moaned while waking up and rubbing my head as it was killing me. Lesson for life: don't drink what you can't stand! I said to myself. I got up and pandicated so hard, as if I was a polar bear who just woke up from hibernation, the only difference was that even a polar bear keeps his place clean. My place reeked of laziness and aloneness.

I checked my phone, "two miss calls from Fred!" I yelled. Fred Spencer, my boss, was the proud owner of 'Spencer's Car Club' and was one hell of a douche. "It's Sunday, why did he call me so early?" I probed. So I called him, I hope everything's fine.

"Nate, you faggot!" he shouted on the phone, his voice was so deep and terrifying that literally my palms started sweating.

"Wha- what did I do, sir?" I asked in a trembling voice. I was afraid, who wouldn't be? My job was at stake. No job means, no new games! No pizza! And most importantly No beer!

"Nothing, I just wanted to hear that, I just love it when you say that; it makes me feel in power" he replied giddily and hung up. Ughh what an asshole! I exclaimed. For a second there, I thought I had lost my job. This is the problem with these rich dudes, they think so less of us as if we're not even humans! What a pathetic way to start a Sunday, right.

"Even Hitler was much sober than this douche!" I exclaimed and threw the phone on the bed. I sniffed my armpits and they stunk like hell! I took off my shirt which I've been wearing for the past two days and rushed into the bathroom for a quick shower. Just as the hot and smoky water hit my body, I exhaled, I mean, what's better than a hot shower on a cold Sunday morning. While I was in the shower I just kept thinking about last night and I just couldn't stop smiling.

I got out, wiped myself dry, put on my favorite trouser and a lose shirt. I went in front of the mirror and as I laid eyes on myself I started to ponder. How come a beautiful girl like Rachel ever give out her number to a guy like me! Well if someone had to rate me out of 10, the best I could ever get would be an 8.

I mean, I had a square face with strong jawline (the only thing I loved about myself). I had short, dark brown hair, which I rarely combed. Small brown eyes, a bulbous nose and thin lips. My skin tone was alright and I had light facial hair. I had a dimple on my right cheek and a small scar on the side of my right eye. Physically I was out of shape, I wasn't chubby or over weighted, but still, I didn't like how I looked.

Now, I was getting hungry. I went to the fridge to grab something to eat, but the sight of my partially empty fridge literally tore my heart into million pieces. So I grabbed a jacket and my car keys and went to the near-by diner. "East Side Co." had the best pancakes in the whole area.

"Hey Nate, long time no see" Abdullah yelled from the kitchen with a spatula in his hand as I entered. He was from Pakistan and the owner of the business.

"Hey, I've been busy man" I replied. I don't know why people criticize the Eastern countries and the Muslims, because the ones I've encountered so far, are so friendly that they totally negate our concepts about them.

"Hey Nate, the usual?" Martha asked, with a small writing pad in her hand. She was the waitress here, a really hard working lady and a mother of two.

"You got that right Martha!" I replied merrily and she left. Then the never-ending wait for my order started. While I was at it, flash backs of my high school life started.

"Aah those were the days" I exclaimed with sad and remorseful expressions dripping from my face. I remember how all the girls used to keep my picture in their lockers, how everyone used to look at my car and dreamt of buying it and how can I forget Laila, the hottest girl in the premises, my girlfriend. I was quite the opposite back then, from my present conditions. I was hot, rich, fit and most importantly I knew how to play the guitar. Guitar was a chick magnet back then, it still is, but comparatively its force of attraction has faded now. My dad was in the Walmart and we were quite a well-off family. And then, that tragic night happened which took my parents far-away from me. I was 17 back then, still a minor, so the state handed me over to my uncle, who not only took off with all my dad's savings but even abandoned me.