Chapter 2

Racing through the night, Lucas searched for the girl with his brother. Lucas thought that he had heard the scream from behind him, but now he wasn't quite so sure. "Let's look around, he told his brother. William nodded and pointed towards the dumpster. Lucas agreed, "Alright, let's look over there". Rushing over, Lucas noted that there were no creatures nearby, so they were safe for now. William tried to push the dumpster aside, by only succeeded in falling over because it was about five times as heavy as him. Lucas moved the dumpster with a grunt, and saw her. The mysterious girl was on the ground, seemingly unconscious. Her red hair was spread out around her, practically glowing where the light hit it. Lucas scooped her up and headed back to the playground with William.

Once the girl was put down on the base of a slide, Lucas practically collapsed. "She's heavier than she looks," he told his brother, which earned him a giggle. William fished out a couple of saltine crackers and a discarded apple core from his pockets. "I found these at the dumpster," he said proudly. "Nice job," Lucas commented while ruffling his hair, "We've got dinner." William looked confused. "Or lunch," Lucas added. "I've lost track". The fact that it was always dark made it hard to tell whether it was night or day, if those even counted anymore. He smiled and took a saltine, munching on it slowly while trying to savor it. Who knew when the next time will be when he will have another one? William did the same and handed his older brother half of the apple core. They each nibbled at the remainder of the apple and enjoyed its sweetness. Fresh fruit was a treat for them... Well, as fresh as it would get.

The girl stirred behind them. Her eyes suddenly shot open and she sat up quickly, only to bang her head. Lucas said to her with a laugh, "Been there, done that." She looked annoyed as she rubbed her head. "Who are you guys?" Lucas piped in, "I'm Lucas and this is my younger brother, William."

Groggily, she said, "I need to get back. My girls told me to get food and they'll be wondering where it is... Thank you, but I really have to go." She tried to leave but Lucas put a hand on her shoulder. She flinched. Ok, so no touching. Lucas pleaded, "My brother and I have nowhere to go. Could we come with you?". William piped in excitedly, "We can go food-hunting with you!" The girl considered this for a moment, but shook away the thought. She said sorrily, "That's not such a good idea. Our leader will not be happy about this. No boy has ever joined our clan since Marko betrayed us... No, we will not allow it to happen again. Farewell." With that she left. A million thoughts were buzzing around Lucas' head. Once the girl was out of earshot, Lucas turned to his brother. "We will not left our chance of survival leave us like that. Follow me."