Chapter 1 - Escaping

There is no way this is happening. Not to me. This has to be a dream. I pinch myself, but nothing changes. There is still fire and blood surrounding me, and my mother's dead form beside me. My vision is blurred by tears, but I know I have to run. I stand up hazely, only to have a knife narrowly miss my head. I quickly jump into the dark water, swimming deeper and deeper. For a fleeting moment, I wish myself dead.

"If only I could drown myself" I think, but hastily get the thought out of my mind. I am slightly comforted by the fact that it is impossible for me to drown, no matter how hard I try. My gills popping out of my neck prevent it. I finally reach an underwater cave, and decide to rest for the night.

I wake up with ideas scampering in my mind. I sit up, and realize how hungry I have gotten. I swim out if my cave, and scout out for a nice fish to eat. I find a rather large one, so, I sneak up on it, and attack. My shark-like teeth sink into the fish, killing it quickly. I began to make my way back, when I see a form like my own swimming towards me. Is it possible? Could someone I know have survived last night?

"SARALYN!" Sam--a girl with shoulder length brown hair and chocolate brown eyes--exclaims, darting towards me like a bullet.

"SAM!" I say as the fish I was holding is knocked out of my hands by her embrace.

"Are you okay? Where is everyone? What happened?" She asks, picking up my fish for me.

"I'm fine!" I say, holding her shoulders, "I found a cave over there, let's go rest our fins and talk."

She follows me to the cave, and we sit on two nearby rocks. We are about to continue conversation, but we are interrupted by a scream.