Chapter 1

Chapter 1
The Birthday Party

"Oh my gosh, Mia! Look at this." My best friend, Janie, said as she switched through the dresses.

She stopped at one in particular, a long dark blue one with an open v-neck. It was pretty but not for me.

"What about it?" I said, my voice monotone. I was trying to not show interest.

"You should wear it for the party tonight." She said, a 'duh' look on her freckled face. She drew back a piece of her straight, auburn hair as she continued to look through the dresses.

"Nah, I'll pass."

"Oh, c'mon, it's your birthday! You should dress up, all you wear are those hideous over sized shirts."

"Those aren't mine." I informed her. She didn't seem surprised.

"You have no clothes, c'mon live a little." I ignored her as she sighed. I looked around and spotted a pair of jean shorts.

"I'll be right back." I whispered, she continued to look through the dresses.

I switched through the shorts until I found my size and paired it with a shirt one size bigger than my real size. Janie sent me a look of disapproval but let me go.

What can I do? I'm not gonna put on a dress for some stupid party. I tried on the shorts, which were too tight, before putting on the shirt.

In the end, I decided to buy the shirt before leaving the dressing room.

"Please tell me you're gonna buy the shorts." She said to me. I shook my head 'no'.

"Too tight."

"Sometimes, I wonder why I'm your friend." She said, a little too rudely. I ignored her and waited until she finished to buy my shirt.

Her phone dinged as we made our way outside the small store. She gave me an apologetic look.

"Can you take the bus? I have to pick David up." She said. I bit my lip in anger before nodding.

"Yeah." We exchanged good-byes before she sped off. It was times like this that I wondered why I was even her friend.

I ran across the street to the bus stop and took a seat on the empty, green bench.

I took out my phone, putting the plastic bag beside me, and started playing Temple Run.

The bus came a little while kater when the clock hit 3:30.

I got and took the first seat.

It stopped a block away from my house, I got off and walked the rest of the way.

Once I made it home, I was tackled in a hug by my little sister, Gabrielle.

"Mia!" She giggled as she huuged me. Her black hair were in two ponytails today. As she stared up at me, I smiled at her.

"Hey, Gabs." I crouched down to her height and touched one of her ponytails.

My mom came into the living room, carrying a plate full of cheese sticks.

"I had no idea how to do these things so I just bought it from Walmart." She said, her spanish accent strong. I nodded and helped her set up the table.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I dropped my school bag on the couch.

"Well, your food silly!"

"Ugh, please tell me the party won't be here." I said, taking a seat on the kitchen counter. She shook her head.

"Nope, it's gonna be in the backyard." She smiled. I groaned and hid my face.