1.

It was a regular day in early September. Cold, but it wouldn't be by the middle of the day. The sun still hadn't come up, nor would it for another two hours. But school started at seven thirty, sun or not. There was a thin layer of leftover rain from a drizzle that had stopped a few hours ago. The neighborhood wasn't up yet, for the most part, apart from a few exceptions here and there. And one resident of four-fifty-two Parry road was among them.

Macy sat on her bed, fully dressed and ready for the day, despite the fact that Blake wouldn't be there for another hour. Her hair still smelled like dye, she'd only done her roots last night. And not even the strongest of Bath & Bodyworks could cover it up. But if nothing else she'd managed to dye her hair without leaving half of her forehead dark red. 

The first day of school had never been so nerve wracking. Maybe it was because this was the last one. She didn't get another first day of school. Sure, there'd be college but that wouldn't be nearly the same. Spinning her phone in her hand,Macy debated if her best friend would even be awake yet. Doubted it,Blake had slept through his own surprise parity over the summer.

Blake had been her best friend since fourth grade when he cut off a girl's ponytail for being mean to his twin. Macy appreciated the loyalty. And she quickly made friends with Blake's sister, since they were always together. They'd been inseparable ever since. The three musketeers. That was until Taylor, Blake's sister was diagnosed with a wilms tumor. 

That was seventh grade. Taylor didn't make it to eighth. Blake never really bounced back from that. How could he? But they stuck together through it. It was an unspoken rule that if they didn't talk about it it didn't happen. Whenever they were over Blake's they ignored the room at the end of the hall. That's how they made it to Senior year.

Macy's stepmom came in, warm smile on her face. "I was going to tell you it's time to get up,but you beat me to the punch. " Caroline was tall, graceful, completely unlike her stepchildren. She wore her hair in long dreads, three shades darker than her skin. She'd married Macy's father when she was six. They met because they were taking their sons to the same daycare. And the six year old didn't take kindly to a wicked stepmom. She was already so mad at her mom for dying, mad at her brother for being the thing that killed her. Macy didn't know any better than to hate her, and her new brother. But Caroline didn't let her resistance to her stick. They had a good relationship once they were past Macy's disney-conceived notions. "Your brothers hid under the covers when I told them it was time to get up. " That wasn't surprising. Her brothers had been dreading seventh grade since well before sixth was close to over. They swore She sat on the end of the bed, reaching out and putting her hand on top of Macy's. "Excited?"

"Yeah,I've been up for a while mom. I'm not even sure that I got to sleep." She shrugged, send a quick text to Blake,asking if he wanted to come a little early and grab breakfast. If Macy sat there any longer without doing anything her nerves would eat her alive. "It's like the beginning of the end. Or something poetic like that. Not sure how I'm supposed to react to it. Does it make sense to be nervous? Cause I think that's the closest to what I am, honestly. I didn't know I cared so much about Senior year until I woke up today."

Caroline just laughed,scooting closer to bring her stepdaughter into a hug "Of course it makes sense to be nervous. Senior year is a big deal. I was crying by the end of my first day senior year. Over people I never even liked." Letting Macy go,she leaned over to meet her eyes. "It's scary,I know. Everyone you grew up going to school with and the idea that you're not gonna see half of them again. But I'm still half certain you and Blake are going to get married someday,so at least you know you'll alway have him"

Macy snorted,shaking her head. Her parents hadn't stopped teasing her about that since the eighth grade. "Yeah,you'll have to bring a coat to the wedding,since hell will have frozen over." Her phone buzzed in her hand 'Sure.Outside. -B' She smiled, shaking her head. He had to have been on his way well before she texted him, since he lived on the other side of town. "I'm heading out a little early, so I don't have to deal with the boys and Blake and I are grabbing food. Love you." She hopped up, grabbing her hoodie. "Tell Dad I said love him too." And she bounded through the hallway,down the stairs and out the door before her stepmom could say anything.