Blue, Blue, Electric Blue

"Bye Kaiya!!" My friend Mari waved as she left, skipping through the rain with her bright blue umbrella. She hadn't shared her umbrella with me and it was pouring outside. Shaking my head, I opened the door to my apartment complex and started walking, but tripped over a heavy cardboard box. 

"Ouch," I groaned, "That really hurt." 

Realizing what just happened, I quickly got up, hoping no one saw me fall. But instead heard a voice behind me. 

"Hello? Are you okay?" A man's voice startled me and I turned around, feeling my face get hot. 

"Are you okay?" He said again looking me in the eye. 

I couldn't do anything but nod my head and stare at him. I've always gotten embarrassed, but I don't think it's ever been quite as bad now. I tried to stammer out a few words but I could only blush, and shake my head.

To make things worse the man was still looking at me, and I, well, I look terrible. My dark hair was dripping on the carpeted floor and all my dark makeup had been washed off by the rain. I probably looked horrible, maybe alien-like right now even. I was lost in my thoughts but finally noticed how awkwardly he was still looking at me. 

He spoke again. 

"My name is David," His warm accented voice filled my empty mind again. "I've just moved here and I'm terribly sorry for leaving my boxes in the way."

I quickly shook my head, blushing. "It's alright, David... I understand. My name is Kaiya, by the way."

"Kaiya... Kaiya... Kaiya..." He repeated, "What an interesting name for a interesting girl." David muttered.

I shyly smiled and nodded. He almost looked as if he was going to start laughing. 

I felt my heart beat quicken. I hated when people laughed at me, or anything I did in that matter. My anxiety had been worsening these last few months and my life had felt like it had been falling apart. David was still smirking and I couldn't understand why. I'm sure he didn't mean any harm, but I still felt uncomfortable. 

I slightly cleared my throat, but avoided looking into his eyes. 

"I need to go now," I looked down at the ground, "My apartment is just on the 2nd floor, uh, number 15 to be exact." I stuttered. I started to walk away, but David put his hand on my shoulder and stopped me. He frowned.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked again.

I paused. He stared at me again. 

"I'm fine." I stammered as I quickly left, feeling like his gaze could burn my skin. 

- - - - - - - - - - - 

As I climbed the stairway time seemed to take forever. When I finally reached my apartment, I tried to focus on the things he had said; What an interesting name for an interesting girl... Even when he had asked me if I was okay. I  wondered what he was going to do. Would he come to my apartment? Was he going to ask me out on a date? I thought of all the possibilities and began to cry.

I wondered all the time about everything and I made myself worry too much. It was hard to know what interesting about yourself, when you thought you had the dullest life in the universe. I was too old to lose it, and too young to choose it. 

I  leaned over to turn on my record player and blow off the dust of my Buddy Holly vinyl that I always kept on the turntable. His soft voice echoed through the room and I fell asleep.

Hold me close and tell me how you feel

Tell me love is real

Words of love you whisper soft and true

Darling I love you

- - - - - - - - - - -

A/N:

This story is set in the early 60's (1965-66), so sorry if I'm confusing anyone, okay. Anyways comment, like, do what you want. Thanks for reading, I'm sorry if it's terrible it's my first fanfic :)