Rachel Stevens

Hospitalized

" I love you my strong Marine", I managed to choke out before the long hum of beeps commence. Within seconds, doctors rush in and check his non existent vitals. Everything happens in a slow blur. People push me to a corner where I slowly slide down to hug my knees. They quickly forget I'm there. I already what's happened, his coma had gotten the best of him. The doctors then remember I'm here and bring me the news. You know what's happened but somehow you always hope for the opposite, humans are funny like that. They always want what they cannot have. All at once, the 4 doctors in the room looked up at me.

"Ma'am we have grave news", said the first man of Indian decent. He hesitantly reached for my hand but I quickly drew it away. He let out a depressed sigh as if he has been through this before. 

"Ma'am , his heart has stopped and the unit could not restart it." He is uncomfortable with telling me these news as would the others if they were assigned this task. Something broke inside of me like a weak twig that couldn't support a leaf and then my tears flowed. I was a screaming and coughing fit. Who would help raise my baby boy? Who would I grow old with? Why did the love of my life have to pay the ultimate price for my freedom? The last thing I told him was I loved him and I was proud. At least I got my final words in. 

Two days later

A strange knock came at the door in my suburb house in the plain county of Richmond. A tall man dressed in military  uniform with high ranks met my eyes. 

" Ma'am, are you Ms. Rachel Stevens?", he asked with authority. I merely nodded and I noticed he had a box in his hand. 

"Ma'am, I am deeply sorry for your loss. These are his belongings left in his bunk and the unit thought you would like to have them." He then thrusted the small tattered box into my shaking hands. 

"Ma'am, you take care now and have a good day. Things will get better, I promise" He then saluted and left me with myself on the front porch. I returned inside with the box and set it on what was once our oak table. I opened it up and saw that there was a letter addressed to me on top which was to be sent before the attack. 

Dear Mrs. Rachel Stevens, 

Goodness your name is lovely. I miss you Rach everyday. I promise baby I'm coming home very soon. I know you'll be waiting or me. I love you, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me Rach. God, I love you Rach. 

Your Marine, Mikey 

I folded the note back up and turn it over in my hand a couple times. My Marine, I love him and I am beyond proud of my Marine. It was just the closure I needed. 

That was the last time I heard from Mr. Mikey Stevens anymore.