Friend or Foe?

One year later...

There's only 20 of us left. There would be 25 if five didn't drop dead yesterday. "Hey, Twitch..." I was interrupted by a loud bang, soon followed by another one. "Everyone get down, get in a corner. Get somewhere you won't be easily seen." Something felt off, like something bad was going to happen. Soon there was a crash followed by some footsteps. They sounded distant, and there was a door between us and them, but I could tell they were silenced the best they could.

The door opened and three pairs of footsteps were heard, one came into this corridor, the other two going down another hall. "Clear." "Clear." "Clear." "Clear." The shouts were distant. They're looking for something. "Hey guys" You may want to come see this!" The one in the corridor called, the four others quickly coming to their side. "What is that?" "Animal of some type... I think." "Is it dead?" They were shinning a light, blinding me. "I don't think so." "Well, this is clearly animal abuse. No doubt." "Not what we were looking for, but whoever is behind this needs to be behind bars. Look at the thing." "John, we're going to need a warrant for arrest." Warrant for arrest, so we're in America. "What's the charges?" "Animal abuse." Animal abuse... No. If they classify us as animals, we're dead.

I shifted my wings to get a better look at them. "Whoa whoa. Back up. It could be dangerous." "Could be? Look at it. I'm sure it is." I growled as the pain in my left wing flared up. It's been broken for a while, since the first fight. I slowly sat, using my right wing to block the light from the flashlight, keeping my face hidden, my left wing laying limp by my side. "What is it?" "That looks like a dragon wing." One of them smacked the speaker in the face. "Well it does." I flicked my tail around, warning them. They are scared, I can sense it. "There's a door over there. Luke, come with me to investigate. You three stay here. Make sure no one comes in or out."

I roared in protest. They were going to the arena. Laws state that animals fought must be put down... If we are being classified as animals, I'm doing my best to keep them from knowing we've been fought. They kept walking. I lunged at the bars, as they reached the door, reaching out for the handle. I reached out and took the arm of whoever was closest. They yelled out in pain, my claws tore their flesh. The two that went towards the arena rushed back, one with gun in hand. They aimed at me, I quickly backed away, realizing my mistake. I cower in the corner, waiting for the gunshot, waiting for the pain that would soon follow. "Don't." I spoke out hoping they wouldn't shoot, my voice raspy and quiet. Surprisingly they heard me.

"What?" "Please. Don't shoot." They put their gun away, something I wasn't expecting. "You can speak." I didn't move, I didn't speak. I sat there, cowering in fear. Fear of what would happen next. "Do you understand?" I simply hid myself more in response, not daring to look up. "Maybe it only knows a few words." "Or perhaps it's just afraid." The first one to speak directly to me ignored the conversation, "We won't hurt you. I just want to know why you attacked Jones." "I didn't purposely harm her, I forgot how easily my claws tear through cloth and flesh."