Freak the System

People ask - what's a hacker?

What comes to mind when you hear that word?

Being a hacker can get you into a lot of trouble, but what you stand for is most important. Some would say 'you're a rebel, a patriot, a criminal.' All of those wouldn't be incorrect where in definition be correct. Morally to a hacker this causes anger over such labeling. But when they put you behind bars... When you've been caught... They can call you whatever they want.

Days later, the boys all met in Jeremy's room that also happened to be his attic. In the evening his parents were away at work until the night. Being in the same place at the same time with the ones you're secretly against would be too risky.

These secretive meetings were when Jeremy, Carter, and Edward developed their plans to change the world as it is. Fueled by an unprecedented surge of junk food and Red Bull, the crew were hard at work mashing away on the keys of their laptops creating new programs and encrypting new codes. Most importantly, sculpting their latest program that will save humanity from itself. At least that's what Jeremy believes.

Nothing but the sound of clattering keyboards and Jeremy's blue ball bouncing off the wall as he sits on his bed fill the air.

Jeremy, why do you always have to do that?" Said Edward. "Are you even listening to me?"

"Forget it Edward. You know how he gets when he's coding," says Carter.

Jeremy catches the ball in mid-air and clutches it in his hand. He looks upon his computer screen with a stern look in his eyes. "Guys I think you should see this... Check your inboxes." The faces of the boys start to match that of Jeremy's.

"Tell me this isn't happening..."

"How is this even possible?"

A video plays on all three computers under the title, "13 hackers executed under the Presidents orders."

Under the video there was a description embedded. "13 hackers executed under presidential authorization. Two others were faced to pay up to two billion in bail. Unfortunately they committed suicide before their next court date."

Jeremy speaks once more. "We have to do something about this... But what? This could have easily been us."

They all close their laptops for the night and take a moment to ponder and realize how dangerous hacking can truly be for them in this world ruled by the corrupt and merciless.