Chapter One

A/N: This fic has triggers. It's heavy. It's angst-filled. I tried to keep it as realistic as possible. My heart goes out to all of those who are/have been affected by domestic violence <3

Harry has always enjoyed libraries. Something about the smell of the ink, the endless possibilities, and the quiet. That last one? Not so true right now.

Candace is pressed close to his side, chattering on about the newest issue of Cosmo as they file books back in their right places. Harry's barely listening to her, sex tips and workout suggestions falling on deaf ears.

Then, Candace squeals, and Harry jumps in surprise.

"What is it, what's wrong?" he asks.

"Look, shirtless pictures of celebrities," Candace says, thrusting the magazine in his face. "Aren't they cute?"

"Jesus, you scared me." Harry holds his hand over his chest, but he's not looking at the magazine. "Very cute. Nice abs."

"You're not even looking," Candace chastises, placing her hand on her hip. She follows his gaze. "You're staring at photocopy boy, aren't you?"

"His name is Louis," Harry says.

She raises an eyebrow. "My apologies. You're staring at Louis, aren't you?"

Harry turns red. "I have a boyfriend."

"I know that, he drops in frequently enough. Doesn't mean you can't check out other guys." Candace shrugs. She nudges his arm as she shoves a book onto the shelf. "Or girls, for that matter," she adds, winking at him.

Harry forces a laugh, but a lump forms in his throat.

"Yeah," he finally manages to whisper out, a moment too late. "I'm not interested in him," he adds after a second. "Or in you."

"Alright..." Candace runs a bubble gum pink finger nail over his arm. "But you know how I feel about you."

Harry swallows thickly, and he jumps when Candace lays a hand on his arm.

"Candace..."

Her nails dig into his forearm, and she leans in so he can feel her breath on his face.

"I won't tell your boyfriend if you don't," she murmurs.

Harry can't speak, has suddenly forgot the entire English language, and he vaguely feels eyes on him. He thinks it's Louis, but when he turns his head, it's not the photocopy boy staring at him but Parker, his boyfriend.

He jumps back, shoving Candace off of him and simultaneously hits his head off of the edge of the bookshelf.

"Parker!" he exclaims nervously, scratching the back of his neck. "I didn't know you were coming."

"No? I come every day." Parker pulls him close, pressing his fingers into the bruises littering his hips. It's a warning. Harry can tell by the way he digs his nails into them that it's going to be a painful consequence.

"I'm sorry," Harry whispers, curling into himself.

"I'm sure you are," Parker hums, unaffected, just like always. He turns to Candace. "Can you give us a moment?"

"Uh, sure." Candace fixes her shirt and disappears down the corner. Harry wants to call out to her, ask her to stay, but he knows that what's coming for him tonight will be much worse if he does that, so he stays silent.