A

Okay so this is very loosely based on my life as a sick individual. The story will deal with being hospitalized for a heart condition and stuff like that, which I closely relate to. None of the characters are based off people I know except maybe me bc the whole heart thing. This isn't meant to be like TFIOS or Red Band Society, but if it seems like it at times whoops. Also, there will be medical terms in here and i'll try to put them into context so they make sense.

kaela

******************************

"Celeste, you need to calm down."

"Breathe, sweetheart, breathe."

"You're going to be fine, okay?"

I sat against the wall unable to speak or move because of the shock. I knew i'd be okay because the pain was familiar. I'd know if it was bad. My head was pounding and waves of fatigue washed over me as I watched the ambulance lights flashing in the distance. My parents were calm and stone faced, they'd been through this so many times before that they masked their fear easily. They thought they did it for me, but I knew it was for their own sake as well. The EMTs rushed through the crowd of people who had gathered around me. My mother immediately began to speak to them.

"It's her heart. She has Sick Sinus Syndrome. This happens all the time, she just goes limp and turns pale."

The EMTs silently nodded and one knelt down next to me. I glanced at her as she looked me up and down.

"We're going to put you on a gurney, okay? We'll be careful. How bad is your pain right now?"

"Her pain is a 7 right now," my mother answered.

The EMT looked at my mother and then me again. Then she stood up and helped her colleagues with the gurney. They lifted me carefully, buckled me up, and rolled me to the ambulance. My mother followed silently and climbed in. She watched as they skillfully applied the EKG stickers to run a test as soon as they got me in. Another EMT was questioning my mother about what happened.

"She just got her drivers permit last month. Her doctors thought it had gotten better...we all did. We were going to dinner and let her drive since she wanted the practice. Then it just...happened. She went limp again. Drove straight towards a tree. No one was hurt though since her car stopped. It has all of the safety features and stuff."

"How often does this usually happen? Her going limp?"

"Maybe three or four times a month. It hadn't happened since February though. Last month."

"I see. Ashton, how do the results look for the EKG?"

I stopped listening to them talk and darted my eyes around to spot whoever Ashton was. One of the EMTs looked up quickly and ran a hand through his hair. He had tanned skin and long curly blonde hair. He looked maybe 20 at the most, far too young to be an EMT. Far too attractive.

"Her beat's slow. Looks like she went Brady. Makes sense cause she has Sick Sinus, right?" He looked at me and gave a small smile. His accent was very Australian and his smile was cute.

The EMT talking to my mother said something to her that I couldn't hear because all I was focused on was Ashton. The ambulance sirens sounded suddenly and the vehicle lurched making my chest ache even more. The heart monitor they had me on started beeping loudly and Ashton and the girl EMT from earlier immediately looked at it. My mom strained to glance at it too even though I knew she couldn't understand the numbers on the screen.

"Her heart rate just sped up a lot. See that spike?" The girl EMT said to Ashton as she felt my wrist for a better reading of my rate.

Ashton frowned and then glanced at me curiously. He chuckled and then smiled at me again. My face grew hot and I closed my eyes so I didn't have to see him anymore. I had accidentally caused my heart rate to go up because I was staring at Ashton. Now he totally knew I was checking him out.