Prologue

"You're their next target! It's now official!"

I looked up from my book to my best friend Sarah. "I'm what?"

Sarah rolled her eyes at me. "You are the Terrible Three's next target!"

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. "They'll never take me alive!!" She smiled at me and punched my shoulder playfully.

"That's my girl."

*

Noami's POV~

I watched as the birds flew above my head twittering at one another, asking to become mates. The male persisted with the female and she gave in and the pair took off to a tree along together. I pushed my glasses up farther on my nose. It was sad how the female gave in like that. She should have stood her ground. I heaved a sigh and a butterfly rested on my finger. The gentle, feathery wings of the butterfly twitched and folded as it rested on my finger. It was peaceful here in my little sanctuary. I had discovered this peaceful oasis many months ago. I was the only one who knew about it, and I wanted it to stay that way. This place was far too beautiful to be disturbed by nosy, loud, obnoxious teens. I sighed and moved my finger softly. The butterfly flew off in search of another resting spot. I sat on the marble bench beside the duck pond and pulled out my favorite poem. "A Thin Line". So far I was finding it to be a confusing read, but I guessed I would understand better if they hadn't used soo many metaphors. My phone buzzed in my pocket. I groaned, but pulled it out anyway. I had a text from Sarah. I opened it.

Big trouble ButterBean! I laughed at the childish nickname I had recieved from her years ago when I put butter on a bean and fed it to my cat, Whiskers. My fingers flew across the keyboard.

What's the issue, Buttercup? My phone vibrated almost instantiously.

You're on their list, everyone at school is talking about it! My heart dropped a little. Their list? The Terrible Three.. They were the worst guys in school. Also the hottest. They made sure every girl in school lost their virginity to them. It was a narcisistic game of theirs that annoyed me. Abigal, my other best friend, had been chosen last month. She had promised they wouldn't get her no matter what and she had fallen victim to their charm. She had lost her virginity to them, and she hadn't been the same girl since. Poor Abigal.. We were rooting for her too...

I sighed and texted her back.

They aren't getting this gal! She replied in seconds.

Our spot, Five minutes.. I'll be waiting. I smiled and put my books in my bag before grabbing it and running back into the school. Once I entered I noticed the tenseness in the air. There was no doubt I was the next target. I guess it was official. I walked up to Sarah and plopped down next to her on the floor. I pulled out my book and began reading. I was on Chapter 54 and it was getting to be very interesting.

"You're their next target! It's now official!"

I looked up from my book to my best friend Sarah. I'd barely heard a word she said, the main character, Bella, was being kidnapped. "I'm what?"

Sarah rolled her eyes at me. "You are the Terrible Three's next target!"

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. "They'll never take me alive!!" She smiled at me and punched my shoulder playfully.

"That's my girl." I smiled and the lunch bell rang. My stomach clenched in fear. Oh God.... I thought as I stood, tossed my backpack over my shoulder, and walked with Sarah into the lunchroom to our table.