Chapter 11

Camila's P.O.V.
Lauren sighed deeply from beside me as she opened the envelope she received from home, smiling weakly at the cheap Christmas card her family sent. I could tell by the look in her eyes that she missed her family.

"Why don't you go visit them this weekend?" I suggested, and she shook her head.

"My family and I don't have the best relationship. It'd just be awkward and uncomfortable." She explained and I frowned in response.

"But I can tell that you miss them." I replied and she shook her head at me.

"I don't miss them. They're all assholes to me. I miss when they treated me like I was their daughter instead of their mistake. They're so happy without me why did they even send me this goddamn card?" Lauren said angrily and ripped the card in half, throwing the pieces on the ground.

"I can't believe they have the nerve to send me that." Lauren said with a slight tone of anger and I frowned at her, feeling sympathetic for her since my family and I weren't on the greatest of terms either.

"Why don't you come over to my house this weekend then? I'm spending time with Sofi this weekend and she'd love to see you." I suggested and Lauren contemplated it for a second before she shrugged and nodded her head, agreeing somewhat hesitantly.

I smiled excitedly at her even though I could tell that she was not exactly ecstatic about the idea, seeing as my mother and Lauren didn't have the best history, but Lauren was a grown woman now and I knew she would own up to her mistakes and apologize to my mother for being disrespectful back when she was a teenager.

I called my mother to let her know that I would be bringing a guest when I come to visit, and she seemed surprisingly receptive to it, obviously happy that I was making friends at college. I wasn't sure if now was a good time to tell her my 'friend' was actually a lot more than that, and that she actually knew my friend fairly well. I figured that it would be better to tell her now, considering if Lauren just randomly showed up at my mother's house uninvited, my mother would file for a restraining order.

"So who is this friend you're bringing along? Do I know them?" My mother asked I sighed, looking over at Lauren who was obliviously scrolling through her phone.

"Uh yes! She's an old friend of mine from high school." I stated and my mother paused for a second before she realized who I was talking about.

"Mija, you're not talking about that Jauregui girl are you?"

"Actually yes Mom, her and I have kind of...rekindled our friendship. Don't worry, she's a lot friendlier now." I reassured my mother and Lauren looked over at me with a smirk on her face, knowing that we had done much more than 'rekindle'.

My mom responded rather neutrally, not wanting to express her obviously negative opinion about Lauren, knowing that it wouldn't have any affect on my relationship with Lauren.

"Ok, well, I'll see you when you get here this weekend, with Miss Jauregui." She said and hung up the phone.

____________________________________
"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Lauren asked, reaching down to grab my hand as we exited my car, staring up at the house she used to be so familiar with.

I nodded in affirmation, squeezing Lauren's gently before I stepped forward and made my way towards the front door, knocking on it gently, my younger sister appearing behind it a few seconds later. She barely acknowledged me when she noticed Lauren beside me, her eyes lighting up when she laid eyes on the brunette.

"Lauren!" She exclaiming, throwing her arms around her waist and practically picking her up off the ground. Lauren squealed in surprise, letting go off my hand to wrap both her arms around Sofi.