Leo's Letter

Raph's POV

I'm trying to write a letter home. Have been for a while now. I don't know why this is so hard, I mean, it's just a letter home, after all. But it's still difficult. I guess that part of it is because I don't know whether or not I should write how I've been feeling and that kind of stuff cause I don't want to worry them. But...part of it is also that there are things I kinda want to write Master Splinter that I don't really want the others reading. Hmm...maybe my best option is just to write separate letters for each of them. Yeah. That's a good idea. I could just use a different piece of paper for each one and put them all in one envelope. Yeah. I guess I'll do that.

So now...who should I start with?

I took a deep breath and cleared my mind, about to start writing when...

Raphael.

I blinked several times before dropping out of the chair and assuming a lotus position on the floor. 

-Master Splinter?-

Raphael, my son!

—————————————

Leo's POV

"My sons, I just made contact with Raphael."

Our conversation with Donatello was promptly forgotten. The three of us bolted upright and leaned anxiously forward, waiting in tenuous silence for our father to speak. The pause dragged a little too long for my taste and my impatience got the better of me. "Is he alright?!"

"He will be fine."

We all let out a sigh of relief and relaxed a little. But just a little. I frowned and sat on the ground with my legs folded, about to contact Raphael myself and assess his situation, but a hand on my shoulder stopped me before I could do so.

"I'm sorry Leonardo, but Raphael still has a slight fever and maintaining such a long-distance contact with me, even for a short moment, has drained him. We must let him rest and recover." I wasn't too happy about that, and it must have shown because Father went on. "Fear not, my son. Despite his brief illness, your brother will be fine. Badgering him on the matter will only push him away. I prefer that from now on you and your brothers refrain from contacting Raphael through meditation. He needs to train just as you did, Leonardo. If he is ever to learn to control his anger Raphael must dig deep inside himself, my sons. And he cannot do that with the added burden of outside pressures. Let him be, my children."

My eye-ridges furrowed. "But father...you said that Raph's actions could have changed to course of our lives. And now we're just going to let him be?" My confusion and suspicion filled my voice and Master Splinter sighed. I frowned. He looked almost...defeated.

"I'm afraid that at this point, that is all we can do, my sons."

I don't like the sound of that. I don't really understand. After all, if there were some sort of unusual risk in Japan where this 'friend' of Sensei's is, he wouldn't have sent Raph there in the first place. I know that he wouldn't have. But obviously there was something Father didn't take into account. Something...that he now thinks could pose a threat to our existence as a family. Is he...Is he worried that Raph won't come back?

I thoughtfully took in the expression on my rat-father's face. Hm...I'd have to keep a close eye on Master Splinter from now on.

Three days have passed. And it's been a really slow week. Not many punks to beat up. And despite Sensei's reassurance we're still a little bit worried about Raph. I know Sensei told us not to make contact, but because we were raised as brothers our connection is a little bit closer than most, so I can reach out to Raph without actually making contact with him. I don't know whether Raph notices it or not. I have no idea why, but I seem to get the best readings on him around noon, which is strange since that's like two in the morning over there. But...contact through meditation sometimes works in mysterious ways. It's just about noon now, so I'm going to try and reach him again.