Letting Go

"Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never the same. " -Unknown

You probably don't remember me. It doesn't really matter who I am, though. What matters is that you know how I feel. You see, I have thought of you every single day since you left, and I probably will never stop thinking of you. But I have to let go of you now. Don't get me wrong; you were incredibly important in the process of me becoming who I am now, and I love you. I don't want to know who I would be if you had never been in my life. But sometimes I cannot help but wish I had never known you, because how things ended hurts me nearly every time I think of you. I wish things didn't happen that way. You will never realize how much I wish things did not happen the way they did, that we were still friends, that we still knew each other, that I knew where you are and how you are. Everyone says that everything happens for a reason, that it is all meant to be, but I wish I could have controlled how it happened. But we were young and didn't know any better. I know I did not predict life to take the turns it did after you left. I just wish that I could see you one more time, even if I wouldn't have the opportunity to speak with you, I would simply want to see you, and see that you are happy. I know this will never happen, however, so instead I am stuck in this constant what-if. And maybe you are, too, but maybe you aren't. Maybe you moved on and found a new best friend. I really hope you are happy, but at the same time, I just wish we could have been happy together.

I am letting go now. You will continue to be in my heart, but I am now starting the next stage in my life, and you will not be such a huge part of it as you have been. Maybe one day we will happen upon each other again, but I am not going to search anymore. Whatever will be will be.

Love always,

Your ex-best friend