Prologue

The room was filled with excited buzzing and nervous giggles. The once humongous auditorium seemed to be cramped to the brim with literature fanatics. Everyone grasped onto the oh-so famous 'Looking Glass' in their trembling hands. Many had coloured markers poised, ready for signing.

I looked down at the book in my hands and flipped it open to the front page. It was finally here, the day I had looked forward to so eagerly. I uncapped the maroon Sharpie, getting ready to be called on next.

It was a chilly December evening. Instead of accompanying my best friends, Luke and Laurel, to the premiere of Laurel's favourite movie, here I sat in my college hall with my fellow literature majors waiting to get our book signed by Hailee Robinsons - My ultimate role model.

"The next row please!"

My heart quickened its pace, I was finally meeting my inspiration. Making my way down towards the adjourned room, I smiled. Tonight was going to be a good night. Not only was I going to cross something off from my bucket list, but if I rush enough, I would also be able to catch my friends for supper. What's a better way to end the night then with the people who know you the best?

Ahead of me stood an approximate of four people. Standing on my tiptoes, I careened my neck as I tried to get a glimpse of the lady by the front of the queue.

Three more people.

Ignoring the buzzing of my phone in my pocket, I stepped forward. I glanced at the paper bag in my hands. In it was a carefully wrapped figurine of Hailee Robinson's first ever book's main character that I had sculpted myself back when I had attended Arts and Craft classes. It had to have been my best sculpture to date for I had poured my love for the character whilst making it.

Two more people.

The buzzing of my phone continued, pulling my out of my fangirl daze. "Only two more people, social life can wait," I thought as I moved yet another step forward. Hailee Robinson had such a pure talent of crafting words together to form such a beautiful picture. Only in my wildest dreams would I be able to match her talent with what little that I have.

One more person.

The buzzing of my phone had yet continued. Realising that the caller was relentless, I fished it out of my pocket and read the number of missed calls and unread messages. They were all, strangely, from the same person. My phone went still in my hands for a moment before vibrating again. Rolling my eyes, I answered the call.

"I'm in the middle of reaching cloud 9, what is it?" I answered, eyeing the person before me and hoping that she took her time with the prestigious author.

"Rae, I'm.. I don't know what happened. Rae, it's Laurel," Luke replied in breathless pants.

"What's happened to Laurel?" I asked, as my heart clenched.

"She.. She's missing and I have no idea what to do," Luke's voice trembled and I could hear him take an audible gulp.

As Luke began speaking as coherent and composed as he could, I felt my stomach churn. My eyes welled up with unshed tears as I listened to every word through the line.

In that time, I knew that my life had took a turn.

In that second, I realised that fiction and reality were two extremely different things.

In that moment, my mind swirled with a thousand questions with the recurring one being:

"How?"

***