Checkmate

Johnny gasped as he saw is dad tied to a chair. I pulled up my gun and fired a bullet into his head. "Checkmate" I whispered to Johnny as I walked past him.

I walked over to a bench and opened my laptop. I searched all the recent murders around Denver, Colorado. Their were at least 3 others just like mine. They were all mothers, I felt so bad for all those other daughters and sons but I was gonna stop this guy for them. The only leads the police had was on a guy named Johnny Aral.  I walked back to the apartment to ask Jason if he knew this guy. ( Jason knows everyone in Denver ) "So do you" I said to Chad and Jason showing them a picture. "Nope" Chad answered as he sat on the kitchen counter reading the newspaper. "I've heard of him but never seen him." Jason said typing something into the laptop. "Here" he said turning the screen toward me. "This is all that you can know about him." Jason said. "I looked over his files carefully finding nothing. "None of this will help I whimpered. "Some of it's encrypted bu" "ENCRYPTED" I stopped him loudly. "But I can crack it." It said lowly turning the laptop back to me. I got up and sauntered over to the couch, Chad and Jason following looking at each other wondering what I was thinking. I was thinking and feeling pain. I missed my mom so much. Chad sat next to me wrapping his arm around me. Jason sat on the other side of me rubbing my neck. I barley paid attention to them but could feel them comforting me. I started to cry and Chad hugged me tighter. I wrapped my arms around him then fell asleep. A few hours later I woke up on Chad's bed. I slowly got up and walked out to the kitchen. I barley felt alive as I zombie like walked over to a thermos and poured some coffee into a mug. I noticed a newspaper was set  on the counter with a red circle around some article. "Open house tonight at The Denver Post, free books and proofs come now and join the fun." They must be their I thought walking away I also saw that the laptop was on. The screen showed a map of Colorado and spot was pinpointed on the map in Greeley, a post it note was next on the screen reading "Johnny Aral's house"