Chapter 6

I awoke with a groan, my eyes peeling open. The sun was bright and the birds twittering. I sat up, frightened. Where was I? What happened? Suddenly it slammed into me like a Mack truck. I was attacked. It wasn't a bear that killed Clara and almost killed me, it was a wolf. A huge, black wolf. Swallowing, I finger my shoulder that was crusty from dried blood. I nearly fainted when I felt no wound. Instead was a scar of his bite mark. It appeared to be months old, not hours ago.

I stand on shaky legs, looking around. Some,thing was different. Off. My vision was sharper, clearer. I could smell things I shouldn't smell. A deep musk that covered me and little ways away where he brushed against that oak tree. I could smell the hidden little birds nest with a four day old baby, sleeping peacefully in the tree nearest to me. I could hear the faintest sound of a chittering chipmunk.

I stumble back, hitting a tree. What happened to me? Swallowing I brush myself off and walk back the way I came, following my scent trail. After about ten minutes my scent became stronger. I glance to my right and there was my backpack, exactly how I had left it. Swiping it up quickly I continue on my trail, hoping to get back before Aimee wakes up. I pick my pace, going into a Light jog.

After another hour I reach my cabin. I stop, shocked. I just ran all this way, and I am fine. No heavy breathing, gasping, wheezing or anything. Unable to cope with this strange new development, I hurry inside and throw my backpack under my bed and throw off my tank top and pull on a blouse that covered my scar.

With a weary sigh, I glance over at Aimee before heading back out towards the office. I had to tell someone about my discovery. I'll just leave out a few details that will get me into trouble and make me seem crazier then I already am.

I follow the flowery scent of Kendra till I reach the office and raise  my hand to knock. "You can't close down this camp! It's all I have left," Jericho's voice rages. I freeze, my hand stilling. I shouldn't be able to hear this. This wasn't the office, this was the lobby to the office. The desk lady has the key to let me in. So why can I hear them like they are right beside me?

"A seventeen year old girl is dead, Jericho. I know this hard but this camp isn't safe anymore." Kendra voice answers calmly.

"You don't understand,Kendra. This place isn't just a camp. It's something much, much more. This place has to stay open... At least for a little while longer until everything settles down," Jericho answers, his voice gruff. "This place is mine, I won't let it go. I own it. Now, go. Get the day started. Animal control will be in the woods for the bear. Make sure the kids stay outta there."  I hear a door slam, Kendra's sharp answer to the desk lady before the door is thrown open. We stare at each a moment.

"Sorry about that, Ash. Is everything alright?" Kendra asks, straightening her graphic tee. I nod, unable to say anything. "Why don't you help me get everyone up? Breakfast will be ready soon," Kendra tells me, eyes determined before she starts heading towards the cabins.

"Kendra," I call out, my voice shaky. Kendra turns, waiting. "Um, nevermind." I mumble before heading towards my cabin to wake Aimee. My stomach was growling loudly, reminding me I was hungry. I just didn't realize it before.

"Aimee," I call, shaking her. Aimee groans and slaps my hands away before rolling over and going to sleep. I growl, literally growl, and shake her harder. Did I seriously just growl? What is wrong with me? Shaking it off I continue to trying to wake my sleepy friend with a s erotic case of bed head. Finally, I try a different tactic. "Jensen's here," Aimee shoots straight up, Eyes alert.

"Keep him out until I'm ready!" Aimee shouts while dashing up from her bed and rushing to get dressed. I chuckle.

"He's not actually here, Aim." I tell her, crossing my arms over my chest as I watch her scramble around. As soon as I finish my sentence she freezes, a scowl plastered across her face as she turns slowly to face me.