chapter two || "i love you"

[Dawn's POV]

"H-how do you not remember me?" Cameron asked.

"I don't know either. But what do you mean by that? Please explain."

"You know what, I'll just tell you during lunch, okay?" he pleads. Of course he'd say that. I mean, the teacher will get mad at us anyways.

Hours pass by and it's already lunch. What a relief! Me and Cameron walk to our lockers and stash away our notebooks and textbooks. I head over to the lunch area and sit down where I usually sit; the far right corner that everyone avoids because it was my first seat to ever sit in when I came here an everyone hated me. Cameron was following me and I was just about to ask him if he wanted to sit somewhere else when I bump into a large figure. It was Shawn.

Holy shit it was Shawn Peter Raul Mendes. He is gorgeous. He was my best friend, until some people decided to persuade him that I betrayed him and talked behind his back about how bad he is at singing  when he actually has such a killer voice. Heart eyes. OMG. Ever since then, he's never talked to me since. He became a player and started bullying me. Before that incident, I was about to tell him I liked him and I told my other "close" friends but they told Shawn that I was spreading rumours. Such desperate bitches.

"Watch where you're going next time bitch!" I get zoned back into reality.

"I-" I get cut off with a blow to my face. When Shawn started bullying me, I would always say to myself that I deserve it. But really I never deserved any of this shit at all. I try to get up from the floor but Shawn's foot is on me. I turn to Cameron, who is clearly filled with anger and fear. He shoves  Shawn into a table.

"Maybe you should watch where you're doing you douchebag!" I hear Cameron yell. I've never heard him yell like that.

"Who's this Dawn? Your new boyfriend?" Shawn starts to laugh.

"No we're not dating. But I have a tip for you. Noticing by your behaviour, you have dated many girls before except for this one. Dawn. If you want a real lady, choose one less slutty. Not like that bitch clinging onto you like you're her precious phone," Cameron retorts. That left everyone with their jaws dropped to the floor.

Me and Cameron walk to our table and we eat our food. I only take a bite out of my sandwich and throw it into the garbage. Cameron gives me a weird look an I just shrug at him. He looks away but his eyebrows are still knit together.

I explain to him about my problem - bullying, etc - and head  to the washroom. I stare into the mirror. There was a bruise building up and it was big gonna grow pretty big. I still stare at the mirror. Am I really not pretty enough for anyone at all?

[Cameron's POV]

When Dawn only ate one piece of her sandwich, that was when I became really suspicious of her. Something is definitely up. She's harming her body and herself.

"I have to tell you something," she says as she sits back down with me at the table.

"One question first: why?" I ask.

"Why? We'll let me tell you this. The reason why Shawn, over there," she points, "was being mean to me was because he's bullying me. The thing is, I always think I deserve to be bullied, but also know I don't deserve it at the same time. One day, I was going to tell Shawn that I liked him and the girls that were my 'close friends' told Shawn I've been backstabbing him. Probably because they liked him too. I though our friendship was pretty strong, so I never bothered telling him that it was all bogus. But that just made me look like the back stabbed the girls called me. Shawn starts bullying me and that's when I starved myself. He called me fat, slut, bitch, cunt, you name it." I raise my eyebrows. Why anyone do this to her? She excuses herself and says she will be in the washroom.

All I could ask myself was why and how? Why would anyone hurt a beautiful, short 16 year-old girl that had long, wavy dark chocolate brown hair, with, a bonus, a great personality? And how does she not remember me?

Flashback

Today was the day she would leave. My best friend. My partner in crime. My family. She was going to leave me here in Los Angeles to move to Toronto.

"I'm going to miss you so much, Cam," she cries. She hugs me an wraps her arms around my waist. I embrace her and kiss her head.

"I'm going to miss you too. Please don't forget me. Please," I say at the verge of tears.

"Never." She holds her hand out and I high-five it and then we pinky promise. That's what we doing when we promise things.

"I-I have something to tell you, but I need you to come over to my house two hours before you leave, alright?" I ask. She nods her head and we continued packing up the rest of her stuff.

After packing everything into the truck, I head home to take care of Jaxx and make supper before Dawn comes over to talk with me. The doorbell rings and I open the door too see Dawn smiling. But she was at the verge of tears, still smiling. I hug her